I don't know about you, but right around January 1st I have shopping fatigue. The powers that be have tried to make Valentine's Day a shopping opportunity. I'm not too keen on that. I think flowers are the right choice and other than that, we need to focus on the sweet side of this holiday. Tap into the simple side of Valentine's day with this east and fun yarn craft that even toddlers can help create.
This is a perfect afternoon activity for a dreary winter day. Gather your supplies and start crafting. There's not too much skill required for these yarn heart and they can be customized in any color or size.
To help on this project, we enlisted master crafter Karimah Henry from the site craftingafunlife.com. I love that this project is simple to assemble and really safe. Make this simple and sweet yarn craft at home with your kids using recycled materials.
Once again, we're starting with the idea that upcycling is the place to start. This is a great way to use cardboard that you have in your house.
Heart Yarn Craft Supplies
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Yarn (various colors)
- Recycled cardboard (thin like cereal or snack box)
How to Get Your Child Involved in Ski Racing
Do you ever watch the Winter Olympics with your family? We sure do at this house. Seeing the ski racers fly down the mountains was a big part of what attracted our girls to ski racing, but the biggest draw was friendship and time spent in the snow. If you are wondering how to get ...read more
Compassion, Fear, and Facing the Reality of Gun Violence
This post was originally published in October of 2017, after a gunman opened fire at a concert in Las Vegas, killing 58 people. Five years later, it still applies. In this, the latest heartbreaking, soul-crushing human massacre, 14 were murdered at a elementary school in ...read more
DIY Flower Arrangement Mugs for Graduation
This is an usual graduation season. With COVID in our midst, we are isolating ourselves from the ones we love. I came up with a creative way to celebrate the graduates in my life with these DIY flower arrangement mugs using Fabulous Florals. Related: Easy DIY floral design tips ...read more
Heart Yarn Craft Directions
- First, place a heart shaped cookie cutter on cardboard then, have your child trace the shape using a pencil.
- Next, cut out each cardboard heart.
- Finally, wrap the yarn in various directions until the heart is completely covered. Make sure to tightly wrap the heart so it doesn’t come apart.
- Optional: add a touch of hot glue at the end to keep the yarn secure.
- You can create a garland, tag or backdrop using these beautiful hearts for Valentine’s Day.
Living in a digital time, it's great to see kids enjoying the simplicity of crafting. This makes a sweet Valentine's Day activity and a gift to share with grandparents.
MORE WAYS TO MAKE IT A HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
- 10 Valentine's Day Mailboxes to Craft with Your Kids
- Best Kids Valentine's Day Ideas on Pinterest
- Two sweet kids valentine baskets
Be sure to follow our Valentine's board and pin your favorite ideas.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.