I still remember the Christmas my parents brought out The Dollhouse. Mine was all wood, constructed from a kit my parents are bought and painstakingly put together. It was plain and unadorned, but in that house, I brought to life all kind of stories and sagas. Want to give your kids that same kind of space to create adventures? Read on to discover our favorite dollhouses - traditional, modern and the best ones that don't confine genders. Please note when you shop, there are affiliate links (including Amazon) and Momtrends will make commission off the sales.
Best Traditional Dollhouses
Let's start with traditional dollhouses. Granted, these tend to lean a bit more feminine. Pink and purple abounds in many of these, but for kids who dream of having a house and family of their own, these dollhouses can provide hours of quiet, creative play.
- Glenview Dollhouse ($249): I adore the curb appeal of this house--who doesn't love a rambling front porch. And the Pottery Barn Glenview Dollhouse looks stunning and can be personalized with your child's last name on the house. Furniture sold separately. Get it at Pottery Barn Kids here.
- Farmhouse ($129): We love the Teamson wooden farmhouse that is filled with wooden furniture and a love of farm life. Includes 1 bed, 1 bathtub, 1 sofa, 1 table, 2 chairs, 1 toilet, 1 bucket, 2 carrots, 1 feed trough, 1 pitchfork, 1 shovel, and 1 broom for versatile play options and decorating. Perfect for kids who love horses, add your stable to the mix. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
- Calico Critters Red Roof Tower Home ($69.99): Calico Critters are little animals that live in cute communal villages. They have sweet stories and loads of sets with teeny tiny peices. If dolls aren't exactly your child's "thing," this house is a great starter home for the critters and a perfect house for creative play. It comes with one critter and a furniture and accessories. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
- Barrington Dollhouse ($399): Some times less is NOT more. Intricately designed, the Barrington Dollhouse is a great addition to your child’s toy collection. When not in use, this dollhouse hinges shut and includes a storage drawer to keep everything within close reach. You’ll love the durable construction. They’ll love the sprawling space for play. Furniture sold separately, I like this 5-room set to start (another $195).Get it at Pottery Barn Kids here.
- Celeste Mansion ($225.99): Bring make believe to life with the Celeste Mansion Dollhouse from KidKraft. A dreamy house for 12-inch dolls, this enormous home features four floors packed with exquisite details. Your child's dolls can ride up and down in style in the working elevator, throw a fancy party in the patio area with working lights, relax in the greenhouse with a built-in jacuzzi or stargaze with their very own telescope. You can even store doll clothes in the closet that comes with three coat hangers! Made to love for years to come. Get it on Maisonette here.
- Multistory Colorful Home ($109): Not all kids love sleek lines and modern furniture. This one is more traditional and has fun features like a moveable elevator and balcony. There are 5 rooms in all and 13 pieces. This is a home Barbie could love. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
Best Modern Dollhouses
Looking for something a little more modern? A little more gender-neutral? We love these wooden dollhouse options that will blend into your living room or modern nursery.
- Modular Modern ($160): The eco-friendly Plan Toys Modern Dollhouse is constructed out of sustainable and environmentally safe materials. The dollhouse is portable for carrying around and comes fully assembled. It is made up of three units, which can be arranged in various ways by sliding and setting. Get from Bohemian Mama here.
- Three Story Dwelling ($150): The Hape All Seasons Dollhouse has six rooms and loads of color while still remaining modern. The clever design features reversible winter/summer decor and it comes fully furnished. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
- Toddler Wooden Dollhouse ($52.99): Looking for something simpler? The Hey! Play! Dollhouse for Kids is great starter dollhouse and includes furniture and accessories. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
- Fold and Go ($53.99): The Melissa and Doug Fold & Go Wooden Dollhouse comes with 2 play figures and 11 pieces of furniture. The chunky pieces are perfect for ages 3 and up. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link).
- Slant Roof house ($94.99): This sleek and simple design is perfect for a small space. I admit this toy make me want to play house and set up my life anew in this airy new home. Get it at West Elm here.
- Mid Century Dollhouse on Wheels ($219): The KidKraft So Chic Dollhouse has wheels on the bottom on allows for play from all sides. KidKraft So Stylish Mansion Wooden Mid-Century Dollhouse with EZ Kraft Assembly™, Open-Concept, Wheeled Base and 42 Accessories, Gift for Ages 3+. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
Easy French Toast with Berries Recipe
Looking for a way to make the most of the summer berries that are in season right now? Try this delicious French Toast recipe and load it up with your favorite berries. Related: Nutella French toast recipe Why I Like French Toast I love to whip up French Toast when I have good ...read more
The Best High-Chairs for Baby 2022
A good high chair needs to offer a perfect blend of function and fashion. Here's why: With the exception of perhaps your stroller, the highchair is one of the most visible pieces of baby gear you'll buy. From roughly 5 months up to 2.5+ years, your child will use the high chair ...read more
Back-to-School Owl Pocket Craft
For some of you, hearing the words "back to school" is cause for concern, dread, or even fear. I think it mostly stems form feeling unprepared or rushed. To take some of that anxiety out of the equation, here's a quick (and calming!) craft that doubles as an adorable adornment, ...read more
Best Gender Neutral Dollhouses
Who said dollhouses are just for girls? Boys love to create stories and character interactions too. But in case your guy or girl isn't into pink trim and Victorian-style furniture, we found these gender neutral playhouses. How cool are these? A spaceship and treehouse, a camper and a castle!
- TenderLeaf Dovetail Dollhouse ($279) I love the welcoming front of this three story wooden dollhouse. It's large, spacious and ultra-stylish. The Dovetail dollhouse has six rooms ready to be filled with furniture sets (sold separately). Beautiful printed plywood floors and gender neutral colors make this an exceptional dollhouse. Self-assembly required. Dolls and furniture sold separately. For ages: 3+ years. Get it at Maisonette here.
- Airstream ($39): We can't get over how excited some little boys we know would be to get this airstream dollhouse we found on Etsy. This is a kit, so it's ideal as a project and a play object. Get it on Etsy here.
- Rocket Ship ($62): 3, 2, 1 - blast off with the KidKraft Rocket Ship comes with astronauts, space vehicles and glow in the dark moon craters. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
- Castle ($112): Looking for something more unique for your guy? Try this Melissa & Doug Deluxe Folding Medieval Castle. It includes a trap door, working drawbridge, and removable turret. For ages 3-6. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
- Tree House ($58): We love the cheery, open floor plan of the Schleich Farm World Adventure Tree House. The 28-piece Farm Playset for Kids comes with a rope ladder and slide. All the accessories make this one loads of fun. Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
- Fire House ($107): If you child loves emergency vehicles, he'll love the KidKraft Deluxe Fire Rescue Set that comes with three firefights, a helicopter, fire truck and ambulance. In all it's got 37 pieces. We love the large scale that invites play with siblings, friends and PARENTS! Get it on Amazon here. (note: this is an Amazon Affiliate link)
Did you have a dollhouse growing up?
MORE KID-CENTRIC FUN FROM MOMTRENDS
Need more ideas on what to do with the kids? Be sure to follow our Activities to Do with the Kids board on Pinterest here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post. This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking and shopping, you help support Momtrends and allow us to keep reporting on trends.