“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” As we collectively cry out to be allowed to go to “more places", perhaps encouraging our children to explore their creativity and imagination through reading is sometimes all the destination that they truly need?
Research shows that reading with your child for just 10 minutes a day can enhance their happiness happiness and boost how they perform at school. Sharing a story together provides opportunities to bond and spark conversations whilst also helping improve children’s reading skills and enjoyment.
To celebrate National Reading Month and support children's literacy, we are sharing five tips to encourage youngsters to read:
1. Make reading fun: Reading before going to bed is a classic ritual but for some children, it can be associated with having to stop playing and having fun. Reading time does not have to be just before you go to bed: read under the table or read in a hut outside while eating snacks.
2. Don’t be afraid to embrace technology to encourage reading. Just because children are turning to devices, doesn’t mean they have to switch off from reading. There is a plethora of easily accessible material on the web which can encourage our children’s literary growth.
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
3. Comic books can be a great place to start. With an emphasis on reading being fun, easy and above all, to establish a regular reading habit, access to comic books is a simple tip to help children find reading pleasure. This is also a great way to help children who start to read in a non-native language.
4. Encourage writing and drawing their own stories: Encourage your child to draw and write their own comic or book allows them to best explore their imagination. There are no restrictions or rules and the child has the opportunity to read out his work to siblings, friends or grandparents.
5. Lead by example: Children imitate their parents and adults around them. As adults, it is important to set an example so perhaps talk about the latest article, magazine or comic book we read at the dining table.
Want more from Momtrends?
This is not a sponsored post. Some tips provided by Readly, a digital subscription that provides unlimited access to 5,000 national and international magazines in one app.