Everyone (hopefully!) takes vacations now and then, and traveling to a new place with a family can be a maze of bookings, paperwork, checklists, and suitcases. How do you keep your information secure when traveling? From updating software, to using a trusted network, to running anti-virus when you get home we are sharing some tips from Facebook as they outline every step that you should take.
Check out some tips from Facebook to traveling safely this summer:
- Update your software: Before you leave, visit the system menus for each phone, laptop, and tablet that your family plans to bring with you. Update your software to the latest available version, which will help protect you from the latest known threats.
- Set a screen password on each device and encrypt: No one intends to lose his or her phone or laptop, but it can happen—even if you're careful. Make sure each device has a strong password set so that a stranger can't easily access your information, and encrypt the drive on the device if you can.
- Remove information you don't need: While we're on the subject, if you store a lot of information on your computer rather than on the web, remove information like sensitive documents that you don't need while you travel.
- Use a network you trust: Think carefully about when you need to connect and only choose a limited number of networks that you trust. Visit sites that support network encryption known as HTTPS or SSL—most sites like your bank, Facebook, and commerce sites will run this way by default. If you want to be extra cautious, investigate using VPN software to better protect your network communications.
- Run anti-virus when you get home: We usually think we're done when we get back and unpack, but take a few extra minutes to run an anti-virus scan on your computer to make sure you didn't take any unwanted things back with you from your vacation!
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
Momtrends was not paid for this post.