Everyone (hopefully!) takes vacations now and then, and traveling to a new place with a family can be a maze of bookings, paperwork, checklists, and suitcases. How do you keep your information secure when traveling? From updating software, to using a trusted network, to running anti-virus when you get home we are sharing some tips from Facebook as they outline every step that you should take.
Check out some tips from Facebook to traveling safely this summer:
- Update your software: Before you leave, visit the system menus for each phone, laptop, and tablet that your family plans to bring with you. Update your software to the latest available version, which will help protect you from the latest known threats.
- Set a screen password on each device and encrypt: No one intends to lose his or her phone or laptop, but it can happen—even if you're careful. Make sure each device has a strong password set so that a stranger can't easily access your information, and encrypt the drive on the device if you can.
- Remove information you don't need: While we're on the subject, if you store a lot of information on your computer rather than on the web, remove information like sensitive documents that you don't need while you travel.
- Use a network you trust: Think carefully about when you need to connect and only choose a limited number of networks that you trust. Visit sites that support network encryption known as HTTPS or SSL—most sites like your bank, Facebook, and commerce sites will run this way by default. If you want to be extra cautious, investigate using VPN software to better protect your network communications.
- Run anti-virus when you get home: We usually think we're done when we get back and unpack, but take a few extra minutes to run an anti-virus scan on your computer to make sure you didn't take any unwanted things back with you from your vacation!
5 Pretty Ways To Organize Your Jewelry
I admit - I'm guilt. Despite my best efforts, my "jewelry drawer" has become a tangled mess of necklaces, bracelets and earrings. This cluttered collection not only makes it hard to see what I have, but difficult to untangle the pieces I do want to wear! This summer, I'm ...read more
This Year's Coolest Jumbo Pool Floats
Pool season is almost here! I can't wait to relax, read a book, and sip a cocktail while lazily drifting in an oversized float. (Just kidding, I have two toddlers--but a swim mama can dream, right?). If you've got a staycation planned, check out this year's coolest jumbo pool ...read more
Crystal Clear and Pristine: Pool-Cleaning Tips
Tropical Storm Isaiah gave us quite the midsummer surprise here in the suburbs of New York City. We just got our power back on after a whole week of darkness! With trees down, debris everywhere, and lots of uncertainty, one thing we forgot to check on: our above ground Intex ...read more
Momtrends was not paid for this post.