With spring officially here, now is the perfect time to start getting kids and families pumped up about getting outside and getting active… and to pledge to do it more often!
Let’s Play, a community partnership led by Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPS), is committed to getting kids and families’ active nationwide by providing great tips and resources to amp up playtime. Through Let’s Play, you and your family can also take a pledge to devote additional playtime to your family schedule. To learn more and take the Let’s Play Pledge, please visit www.letsplay.com/get-involved/take-the-pledge.
And to make it easy for your family to add play to its routine, Let’s Play shared these fun tips to inspire daily play and get kids outside and active this spring:
- Go for a hike: With the weather warming up, now is the perfect time to go for a hike to get active outdoors and enjoy springtime in bloom! National and state parks often have great hiking trails of all difficulty levels. Regardless of which you choose, wear comfortable shoes, stay hydrated and bring snacks.
- Dust off your bikes: Whether it’s a bike, tricycle or training wheels, pull your wheels out of winter storage and hit the pavement. Quick rides right after school or just before dinner are the best. And if you’re heading to a nearby park or playground, walk or ride there instead of driving.
- Paint the sidewalks: Let your kids’ imagination run wild right outside your front door with sidewalk paint or chalk. Whether they draw classics like hopscotch boards and four-square courts or get creative with maze-like bike lanes around the driveway, join in and play with your kids. After a full day of play, cleanup is a breeze with a quick shot of water to wash away the chalk or paint, giving your kids the chance get creative outside again tomorrow.
- Plant a garden: You’d be surprised at how much physical activity goes into planting a garden! Visit a nursery or local hardware store with your kids this weekend to pick out flowers, fruits or veggies. Get your kids help to pot or plant them in the backyard, and keep them involved throughout the summer caring for the fruits and veggies, picking them when they’ve ripened.
- More playtime inspiration is a click away!: Staying active on a consistent basis is the key to achieving an active lifestyle whether it’s outdoors this spring or inside in bad weather. Visit www.letsplay.com for a wide variety of resources including tools, places and fun, family-friendly activities to make play a daily priority.
- Get the Community Involved: Is your community in need of a new playground or sports equipment? Let’s Play partner organizations, KaBOOM! and Good Sports help families achieve a healthy lifestyle through building playgrounds and donating sports equipment to communities in need.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.