Did you know that January is Ski and Snowboard Month? We are spreading the word early so that families can start planning for this exciting month of activities and discounts. During a recent phone interview, I had the chance to chat with Raelene Davis, Chairwoman of Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month (LSSM) and VP of Marketing for Ski Utah, who spoke about all of the many cool activities that families can enjoy.
During our chat I learned more about this national program where more than 300 resorts in the U.S. offers learning programs as well as the best deals on ski/snowboard vacations.
This is an incredible opportunity for families and kids to get on the snow as they build confidence, learn essential skills and have fun while learning. How families can start to plan is by checking out SkiAndSnowboardMonth.org where they can find everything from where to go to how to dress properly. Last January during Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month, more than 153,000 children and adults took beginner lessons from professional instructors at 300+ resorts across the U.S.
Another fun program that Ski and Snowboard Month is focusing on is where experienced skiers and snowboarders can get their friends involved in Bring a Friend Challenge. Running December 1, 2013 - March 7, 2014, invites skiers/snowboarders to bring a friend or family member to a ski/snowboard area and help the newcomer sign up for a lesson taught by a professional instructor. In appreciation of their doing so, they will be entered to win product and trip prizes (specific prizes listed on the website). For those who introduce more than one newcomer, there is the chance to be selected as a LSSM Champion (for enthusiasts ages 13 17) or Ambassador (18 and above) of snow sports. Selected Champions/Ambassadors could win as much as a full-season pass to their local ski/snowboard area for 2014/15.
Some examples of just-announced packages include:
- Liberty Mountain Resort Packages: This Pennsylvania resort offers an affordable $90 per person package every Wednesday night in January, which includes one night lodging, hot breakfast, lift ticket, rental equipment and a beginner lesson.
- Ski New Hampshire Free Promotion: Consumers can register on the SkiNH.com website and choose a participating venue offering free lessons for beginners during the second full week in January.
- Ski Vermont January Beginner Package: Participating resorts in Vermont offer a reasonable lift, lesson and rental equipment program for beginners for only $29. Information will be posted at SkiVermont.com.
- Ski New Mexico Youth Package: Ski New Mexico is offering an affordable $30 lift, lesson, rental equipment package available for first-time youths ages 6 12 years at eight Alpine resorts and one cross-country venue run in conjunction with KOAT-7 TV.
- Ski Utah Promotions: All ski and snowboard areas in Utah participate though programs vary and details will be available on the SkiUtah.com website and SkiandSnowboardMonth.org closer to January.
- Discover Michigan Program: Michigan, in partnership with McDonalds, is offering a package including the lift, lesson and rental costing $20 - $40. Find coupons at participating McDonalds restaurants in Michigan.
- Beech Mountain Skiing 101: The North Carolina property is offering a $101 package for ages 8 and up including a beginner lesson, helmet, rentals and one night of lodging.
- Cataloochee>Drive, Slide and Stay Program: The property located in North Carolina is offering a two day package including 2 nights lodging, two days of lessons (one beginner and one follow up), marathon (open to close) lift tickets and ski or snowboard rentals for each day. The package also includes a $10 gas card per participant.
For more information, please visit: SkiSndSnowboardMonth.org.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.