Are you grabbing the kids and heading out for the holidays? Here is a list of top ten healthy snacks to pack for travel on planes, trains and automobiles.
1.Pre sliced apples with individual hummus containers: These perfect pre portioned snacks are ideal for flying since fruit is 80-90% water and a great source of Vitamin C. They can keep you hydrated and fighting colds. Apples and hummus make a healthy snack comprising of both carbohydrates, protein and our favorite monounsaturated fats.
2. Fruit and chia filled Greek yogurt: Get three textures in one spoonful while serving up omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, calcium and 2 or more servings of protein.
3. Whole grain mini pitas topped with refried beans. Refined beans are an easy source of protein while being cohesive and thus not messy! Just bring a spoon and serve as you go.
4. Edamame and pickled ginger: For your child with flavor seeking tastebuds, opt for this fun snack. You can buy shelled edamame ready to eat in g the refrigerated section of your grocery store or you can make the pods before you head out and let the kids have fun squirting the beans out.
5. Zucchini GIngerbread Carrot Cookies with low fat milk: There is nothing like cookies and milk! So don't disappoint. Grab a box of Bitsy's Brainfood and an aseptic box of milk. This snack is portable and not very perishable if you get stuck on a hot flight or in traffic.
6. Clif Z Fruit Rope and Clif Z Bar: This is a great emergency snack to keep in the kid's backpack. Individually wrapped so little hands can hold and stay clean.
7. Cherry Tomatoes and Mozzarella: FInd the prepackaged snack packs of cherry tomatoes and pair with string cheese or cheese rounds for a healthy and happy snack. It's pizza without the crust. No crumbs will be left in the car seat.
8. Freeze Dried Pineapple and Almonds: Are your kids bored? Try freeze dried fruits and veggies!! Pack with almonds for protein and MUFA's.
9. Veggie/Fruit Squeezer along side BBF's Lemon Broccoli Cookies: Yes, that's right, get your picky tots exposed to veggies in different forms. This is an easy snack that mom and dad are sure to want to share.
10. Mini homemade pumpkin muffins with unsweetened almond milk.Take this tasty snack on the road. Every kids loves muffins so why not make them seasonal by adding pumpkin puree to the mix. To keep the total sugar content moderate, serve with unsweetened almond milk to keep hydrated.
Laura Cipullo is a Registered Dietitian for Bitsy's Brainfood, the organic cookie for children with a full serving of veggies in each box!
Momtrends was not paid for this post.