Did you know there are almost seven teaspoons of sugar are in one Snickers candy bar?! And you can expect to get 28 empty calories in one piece of traditional Halloween treat: candy corn. And who can’t eat just one?!
Seems like finding healthy swaps are not a bad idea! Below are simple and delicious ways families can cut the sugar out of their Halloween treats this year while keeping it festive! If you have time on your hands these easy DIY recipe from Valerie’s Just Baked Goods is great for getting the kids involved while keeping treats yummy with less sugar.
Witch’s Healthy Poison Apple
What you will need:
- Apples (2 apples)
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (6oz or half a bag of chocolate chips)
- Chopped Nuts
- Insert sticks into apples until apple is secure
- Melt chocolate until smooth
- Cover the apple with melted chocolate until covered
- Turn the apple while covering with chocolate chips or crushed nuts
- Put apple on wax paper, sticky side up, until chocolate hardens (About an hour)
- I whipped up the recipe below last year and is now a household favorite! Take a look at my revamped chocolate bar recipe below.
Chocolate & Peanut Butter Crunch
What you will need:
- ½ cup coconut oil, slightly melted
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- ½ cup of natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup of sprouted brown rice cacao crisps
- ½ cup of grounded 7-grain Wasa cracker bread (one cracker)
- Handful of chia seeds
- ¼ cup of 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips (melted)
- In a large mixing bowl mix add all the ingredients and blend
- Using a baking loaf pan, line the pan with wax or parchment paper
- Spread the mixed contents inside smoothing it out evenly
- Drizzle melted chocolate on top (optional)
- Top with a handful of chia seeds
- Freeze for 10 minutes
No time to bake? Try scooping the healthy swaps suggested below to keep both your family and trick treaters feeling good about their candy options.
YumEarth Organic Pops Who doesn’t love a good old-fashioned lollipop? YumEarth Organic Pops are made from organic cane sugar, organic brown rice syrup, citric acid and other natural flavors. Amborella Organics also makes a delicious lollipop that might appeal to the older trick or treater with hints of roses, sage, rosemary, lavender, lemongrass, thyme, hibiscus and marigold. Each stick is biodegradable and made from recycled paper in the soil to simultaneously decompose and grow. If pops aren’t your thing you can opt for other yum treats like Organic Candy Cornor the Halloween Variety Pack also from YumEarth.
This is not a sponsored post.