We covered the latest back-to-school trends and now we are on to our favorite foods and the best options to store them.
1. Healthy Breakfasts: To get your kids started off on the right foot, we love Rosie Pope's collection of recipes on Parents including a Bacon & Egg Frittata, Overnight Oatmeal & Quinoa, and Blueberry Breakfast Bars.
2. Healthy Lunches: For lunches, we love the organic peanut and nut butters from Nuttzo that provide our kids with a high source of ALA Omega 3s and protein.
We also love to shop local in NYC, and our favorite store Westside Market recently introduced healthy grab-n-go lunches. This includes freshly prepared in-house sandwich made with a choice of Applegate Farms deli meats (ham, turkey chicken or vegetarian) and cheese (Swiss, cheddar or American) on white or whole wheat bread, a piece of fruit: an apple, a pear or an orange, two signature homemade cookies: oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip or M&M and a choice of juice: apple, orange and grape for a complete lunch on-the-go.
Another great option for lunch on-the-go is with Annies who recently teamed up with HONEST Kids, Organic Valley and Stonyfield for the Rock the Lunch Box a free, engaging online resource for parents that delivers ideas, inspiration and nutritional advice for packing lunch. This also includes coupons, contests and videos - to keep you inspired for lunch making.
We are also big fans of Kid Fresh and their better-for-you frozen dinners. For lunch, we love their new Super Duper Chicken Nuggets with hidden veggies.
3. Snack Happy: With busy schedules, it is key to keep kids fueled throughout the day with the snacks. Some of our favorites are portable options like the Happy Times and Happy Squeeze options from Happy Family.
For some crunch, we love popchips and their tasty flavors including barbecue potato, ranch tortilla, nacho tortilla and newkatys kettle corn popchips. These tasty chips are only 100-130 calories per single-serving bag are gluten-free and contain no preservatives, trans-fats, saturated-fats, fake colors or fake flavors. We also love the tasty Sea Salt & Olive Oil Hummus Crips from Kashi that deliver a bold and satisfying flavor thanks to the nuttiness from the chickpeas. Other flavors include Caramelized Onion, Sundried Tomato, Basil & Feta that all contain 5-6g whole grains per serving. We are also big fans of Snikiddy, a line of all-natural snacks made from simple, wholesome, real-food ingredients. This includes selections kids will love like the All-Natural Cheese Puffs, All-Natural Baked Fries, and Eat Your Vegetables®, a veggie chip snack that provides a full serving of vegetables in every ounce. These snacks are also made from non-GMO ingredients, certified gluten and wheat free, and do not contain any artificial colors, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, hydrogenated oils or MSG!
We also love the food options from NatureBox, an online subscription service for healthy snack food, and their nutritionist-approved items that are sourced by local growers/independent food producers to consumers doors each month. Some of our favorite selections for kids include the Wholesome Comfort Box and the Spice of Life Box.
Another favorite in the lunchbox is the Yoplaits new Greek yogurt. Kids will love its thick texture and parents will love the health benefit. Available in six delicious flavors Blueberry, Coconut, Pineapple, Strawberry Raspberry, Tangerine and Vanilla all containing 100% more protein than regular yogurt with only 150 calories.
4. Fun Containers: For storing food, we love the cool storage containers from Cool Gear - especially the Collapsible Bento Box that features a non-toxic gel freezer tray that keeps food cold & fresh. For drinks we love the BPA-free cups from Cool Gear with their vibrant Lil' Spike bottles and their coolgearcan's that are shaped as 12oz. or 16oz. cans and feature a twist-off-lid that is also spillproof and contains a double wall to keep drinks colder. Another favorite for back-to-school is the adorable Hello Kitty Collection from SIGG. We love these sleek BPA-free bottles that consists of four bottles offered in Elephant, Leopard, Monkey and Tiger complete with a fun speech bubble where you kid can print their names. We also love the bold and vibrant colors as well as the durable cups that your kids will love taking to school. Another fun option is the glow in the dark "Monsters" collection that includes four bottles that portray groovy and friendly monster characters that will appeal to both girls and boys. Two of the Monsters designs (lime green & blue) come with vacant bubbles providing room for kids to customize and draw on their own bottle.
5. Afterschool treat: Treats are a part of childhood but we still want to keep them as healthy as possible. One of our favorites are Arctic Zeros frozen desserts. With flavors only 150 calories for an entire pint or 85 calories for a bar, I was surprised at the incredibly rich and delicious taste from this super dessert." This includes a line of incredible flavors like chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, cookies and cream, mint, strawberry, vanilla maple and more that are also gluten-free, suitable for lactose intolerants, GMO-free, contains only natural and organic ingredients, and has no artificial flavors and has no colors or sweeteners - making them ideal for the entire family! You can find them nationwide at Whole Foods, Sprouts, and Wal-Mart.
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We were given some samples.