Since we've moved to Colorado, we have been spending our weekends skiing. We live about two hours from Keystone Resort and head there at least once a week. As part of our New Year's goals of not eating out, I've been digging through my favorite recipes to find easy ones for when we get home from skiing, or ones that can be adapted for the crockpot. I'm all for using your leftovers in this turkey stew recipe.
This turkey stew is one that my mom sent me after Thanksgiving a few years ago, and cooks within a half hour, providing you have leftover turkey (chicken does work too). Since I have one last package of turkey in my freezer, just begging to be turned into a delicious meal, and I'm pretty sure this will be waiting for us Saturday night when we come home from the slopes. It also doesn't hurt that it's a favorite of my husband's, which he'll appreciate after the drive home.
Holiday Gift Guide For Skiers and Riders
Planning to hit the slopes this winter? We've got gifts for everyone in the family. It's all about maximizing time outdoors with our picks for the holiday gear to gift to your favorite skiers and riders. Remember to shop early to help get everything to you in time. Gifts for Her ...read more
How to Overcome Kids’ Vaccination Fears
Whether it's a flu shot of the round of childhood vaccines, kids rarely look forward to a needle jab. With the news that the FDA has authorized the Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine for children ages 5-11, it's time to come up with a strategy to make the upcoming doctor visit less scary. ...read more
Ski Moms Fun Podcast
The struggle is real, but the rewards are great. Welcome to the Ski Moms Fun Podcast a chat for women who love the outdoors and do the hard work of getting families out into the snow to play. Meet Your Hosts The Ski Moms Fun Podcast is hosted by Sarah Butler and Nicole ...read more
Turkey Stew Ingredients
- 3 cups leftover turkey (or chicken), chopped into smaller pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups turkey broth (or chicken)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Turkey Stew Directions:
- In soup pot, heat oil and add onion and celery, cook 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add broth, potatoes, carrots and spices, bring to a boil.
- Lower to medium eat and cook until potatoes are tender (15-20 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and water, whisk to remove lumps.
- Add flour mixture to soup, stir till thickened.
- Add turkey and cook an additional 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For the crockpot, follow the first three steps, and add the turkey, cook on low all day. Prior to serving, add the flour and water combination to thicken.
More Ways to Use Turkey Leftovers
Use Pinterest to save your favorite recipes. Be sure to follow our Healthy Eats board.