Time to slow down and enjoy the season. If it's not done now, it's likely not going to happen. Here are some of our favorite ways to find the festive. Try one of these and see if you can't get merrier and brighter.
Five Ways to Find Christmas Spirit Today
While holiday shopping can make me feel merry, there are loads of ways to get into the spirit of the season that are less expensive. Try one of these ideas to put joy in your heart and to connect with the less commercial side of the season.
- Donate to charity. Yesterday we took a CRV load full of toys and clothing to the Salvation Army. There's nothing like giving back to remember the real meaning of the season. If you can't write a check, it's always meaningful to donate goods and services.
- See some lights. Head out for a neighborhood walk or drive. Our tradition is to head to the Dyker Heights neighborhood in Brooklyn to see the decorations. Seeing these elaborate displays always puts some jolly in my holiday. And you can do it from a safe distance.
- Bake something. Start with my tried-and-true sugar cookie recipe. Bake an extra batch and donate them to the local food pantry or some neighbors that won't be baking this year.
- See a festive movie. This is our classic list of Christmas flicks to get you inspired. Make sure everyone is in Christmas-y pajamas and gather pillows and blankets for a movie night.
- Sip something fun. If all else fails, make a fire, turn on some holiday music and sip a cocktail. Here's some inspiration. And since many moms are skipping cocktails, did you know there are 31 ways you can make hot chocolate special? Try a new one of them each day of the break.
Keeping your New Year's resolutions
The New Year is off to a fresh start, and many of us are committed to doing something or many things with more intention this year. But it's tough to stay on track. In fact, “Quitters Day”, which falls on January 14th this year, is the day when most people give up. How can you ...read more
Kids in the Kitchen: Mini Banana Waffle Pies With Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce
School has started back for many (us included!), and today's Kid's in the Kitchen recipe makes for a perfect breakfast or after-school snack. We made ours for an after-school snack the other day and my second grader loved it. We call this recipe Mini Banana Waffle Pies With ...read more
The Best Overnight French Toast Recipe
We've hit the winter lull--that lengthy stretch of season with no plans, no parties, nothing to do, and nowhere to go. I have to admit that at first, I welcomed the quiet obligation-free weekends of January. After the nonstop hustle-bustle pace of November and December, my family ...read more
MORE HOLIDAYS FROM MOMTRENDS
- Write the perfect letter to Santa.
- Make a DIY Grinch Ornament
- 4 Holiday Gift Wrapping Hacks
- Free Holiday Hang Tag Printables
Use Pinterest to save your favorite gift ideas. Be sure to follow our Holiday Recipes and Crafts board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.