Avocados weren't a thing when I was a kid. I didn't discover them until my late twenties, and I feel like I'm making up for lost time. Our family consumes crazy amounts of this amazing fruit. Most mornings, we grab a few of these beauties, mash them up and call it breakfast. In the process, we've learned a thing or two about making the perfect toast. I wanted to share these five quick tips regarding avocado toast to help you elevate your healthy breakfast.
Related: 10 cool and green breakfasts
Let's hear it for Avocados
Don't hold back on your love of the avocado. As a big avocado and guacamole fan, I loved hearing more about the health benefits of this creamy fruit. Avocados are a fantastic source of monosaturated fats (the healthy fats) that support healthy brain function by promoting blood flow. They are also packed with vitamin B and include antioxidants to protect against free radicals.
Basic Avocado Toast
Let's start with the basic recipe. The most important ingredient is ripe fruit. Be sure to select avocados that are soft to the touch, but not mushy.
Prep time: 7 min.
Cook time: 0 min. + 5 min.
- 1 fully ripened avocado from Mexico, halved, pitted and peeled
- 1-2 squirts of fresh lemon
- Ground black pepper
- 2 large slices bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato (optional)
- In a bowl, coarsely mash avocado with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add lemon.
- Divide avocado onto toast and spread to cover; cut each slice in half.
- If using, sprinkle tomato over top and serve.
The Ten Best Wooden Play Kitchens For Kids
Cooking is a timeless fascination for children. This type of play goes beyond gender and teaches kids loads of life skills along the way. An investment in a play kitchen is money well spent, as it can provide hours of entertainment. We've rounded up the ten best wooden play ...read more
New Victory Announces a New Season of Shows
We know you're busy planning picnics and summer outings, but we wanted to let you know that The New Victory just announced their new season and it looks fantastic. We thought you'd like a sneak peek of what's in store! Each year the New Vic theater brings culture to tourists and ...read more
Fun Ways to Discover Venice Italy with Your Family
Greetings from Italy wear the gelato is rich, the clothes divine and the scenery is inspiring. Now that I've been to this fine city in the north of Italy, twice, I've amassed a list of favorites to share. These are some fun ways to discover Venice, Italy with your family. ...read more
Five More Things to Sprinkle on Your Avocado Toast
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
- Seeds (sesame and poppyseeds are favorites)
- Red pepper flakes
Stale Bread is Your Friend
I'm not talking about moldy bread, but slightly dry bread is going to be awesome once toasted and loaded up. The best bread is sturdy and has a hearty crust like an artisan multi-grain loaf.
Ways to Store Your Avocado
Let's say you can't finish the whole avocado, here are some tips for storage.
- Avocado Hugger: these nifty devices fit perfectly around sliced avocados. With only one set you can preserve avocados large and small. These covers are a superior replacement for plastic bags, plastic wrap and wax paper alternatives.
- The Citrus Method: Acid is said to slow down the process of browning. Rub the cut side of an avocado with lemon juice.
How to Get the Pit Out of an Avocado
Check out this video. I showed my mom this trick over the summer. She said it changed her life. It's the ONLY way to take out a pit.
I hope you learned a thing or two about this amazing fruit and are inspired to improve on the classic recipe.
MORE FOOD FEATURES FOR YOUR FAMILY FROM MOMTRENDS
- Veggie Nugget Recipe from Weelicious
- The Smoothie Project Brings Easy and Colorful Nutrition to Families
- 10 Hearty Breakfasts to Feed Your Family in the Winter
Use Pinterest to save your favorite recipes. Be sure to follow our Kid Food Pinterest board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post