Despite the fact that winter still rages on in many parts of the country, now is the time to start thinking about and making garden plans for the impending Spring season. With the growing popularity of container gardening you no longer need a large expanse of land to have a successful garden, you only need a few containers, seeds, water and sun! Here are some ideas to start growing vegetables in containers for family fun.
Think how amazing it must be to a child to plant a seed, cover it with dirt, water it and watch a seedling sprout in just a matter of days. Grab a few small terra cotta planters from your nearest retailer or create fun decorated ones and have a fun and educational time with your child stressing the importance of fresh fruits and veggies at a young age.
There are many varieties of fruits and vegetables that can be grown in containers. When purchasing seeds look on the packet, often you will find an icon with a container and a check mark to denote that variety does well in containers.
How to Celebrate Adoptive Parents
I recently learned that a friend who had been patiently awaiting a child became a parent practically overnight. When I heard about this loving couple bringing home their first baby, it really got me thinking about how to celebrate adoptive parents. We have experience with ...read more
Spiked Apple Cider Pops
September in the South is, in my opinion, still summer. The eighties and nineties always prevail and make the traditional fall flavors that I crave so much slightly out of reach. As much as I want to relax and sip on some hot cider, at the moment, I still need something iced. ...read more
Japan Adventure Park Hyatt Hotel Niseko
Are you ready for an international ski adventure with your family? This new opened in January 2020, right before the big shutdown. The Park Hyatt hotel is located 2 hours northeast of the New Chitose airport in the northern island of Hokkaido. We arrived via flight from Tokyo to ...read more
Five Healthy Foods to Grow in Containers
Here are a few easy, fun and healthy plants to grow in your home with a short germination and harvest time.
- Lettuce: Fresh lettuce is fairly easy to grow indoors. With it's shallow roots you don't need a large container to grow lettuce in your home year round. Black Seeded Simpson is a great choice.
- Strawberries: Strawberries tend to vine so if planning to keep them indoors make sure there is enough space. They are rather invasive so be sure to plant them by themselves. Your child(ren) will love picking these tasty treats right off the vine and having them for a healthy snack.
- Carrots: Believe it or not, some types of carrots can be grown in containers. Because they do grow underground be sure to select a container that has some depth to allow for growth.
- Mint: Not only does mint smell amazing but it wonderfully flavors water, the water your child(ren) will need after a day of playing in the sun. Let's not forget the added benefit for mom in the form of a mojito.
- Green Beans: These pole beans grow rather quickly and they grow tall and may need to be staked so keep that in mind if there are no plans to move them outdoors when the weather permits.
Gardening is such a fun and relaxing past time. Consider introducing gardening to your children at an early age, I'm sure they will enjoy it just as much as you will.
More Outdoor Fun Family Ideas from Momtrends
Use Pinterest to save your favorite family travel destinations to help inspire your next trip. Be sure to follow our Activities to Do with Kids board here.