Still looking for a last-minute gift idea? This homemade DIY body scrub is one of my favorites to give (and to receive!). It's easy to make, inexpensive and can be personalized for your gift recipient. Here's what you need to whip up a batch this afternoon and cross those last few gift to-gets off your list.
I first received this scrub from one of my husband's work colleagues a few years ago. I immediately stole it and fell IN LOVE with it. Equal parts exfoliation and moisture, it is just what my winter skin needs. It wasn't until last year that I finally asked her for the recipe and found out how easy it was to make on my own. Now I get to indulge in it all year round! Here's how to make it:
- Turbinado or brown sugar (I've never tried it with white sugar, but it might work)
- Coconut oil
- Essential oils (optional)
1. Melt the coconut oil. Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature so if unless it's warm in your house, you'll need to melt the coconut oil in a pan on the stove or in the microwave. You don't need it super hot - just melted into a liquid so you can mix in the sugar. Once it's liquefied, take it off the heat.
Inspiration and Games for a Candy Land Birthday Party
The girls had their hearts set in a colorful candy party inspired by the Candy Land board game. This party was such a blast to put together. A rainbow of colors, candy bar, and candy games! Candy Land Birthday Party Food and Drink Our party was in the afternoon, so for food we ...read more
Five Tips for the Perfect Pumpkin Patch Visit
It's that time of the year again...pumpkin patch time! While I love a nice Pumpkin Spice Latte as much as the next fall lovin' girl...for me, the season is all about spending time with my family...and hopefully that time is spent outside as much as possible. If you're headed out ...read more
Perfect for Fall Pumpkin Spice Dirt Bomb Recipe
Get your pumpkin spice fix with this tasty dirt bomb recipe. Unlike fried donuts, this recipe is a little lighter and, since no hot oil is involved, a lot less messy. These dirt bombs, or baked donuts, are irresistible cakey muffins that are spiked with nutmeg and ginger, and ...read more
2. Add in the sugar. Mix in your sugar of choice. I've used both turbinado and brown sugar and both work well. I usually just eyeball the ratio, but you're looking for all the sugar to be covered in the oil. You can also make this with sea salt instead of or in addition to the sugar. I just found that the salt scrub was a bit painful after shaving and prefer the sugar version.
3. Add in essential oils, if using. I usually just stick with the sugar and oil, but for the holidays it could be fun to mix in peppermint or lavender or another essential oil.
4. Pour into jars. I like to use these mini glass canning jars which are available at many grocery stores, but you could also use a container like this or this. You want it to be big enough that you can get your hand into it to get the scrub out.
5. Let it cool - then add fun packaging or extras. Once the mixture is cool, add a lid and it's ready to give! If you're looking for fun ways to spruce up the gift, you can tie on a spa-like bamboo spoon or your own printable apothecary labels.
From co-workers to teachers, your favorite babysitter to your sister-in-law, this sugar scrub makes a great and easy holiday gift - and amazingly soft winter skin!
Momtrends was not paid for this post.