Still looking for a last-minute gift idea? This homemade DIY body scrub is one of my favorites to give (and to receive!). It's easy to make, inexpensive and can be personalized for your gift recipient. Here's what you need to whip up a batch this afternoon and cross those last few gift to-gets off your list.
I first received this scrub from one of my husband's work colleagues a few years ago. I immediately stole it and fell IN LOVE with it. Equal parts exfoliation and moisture, it is just what my winter skin needs. It wasn't until last year that I finally asked her for the recipe and found out how easy it was to make on my own. Now I get to indulge in it all year round! Here's how to make it:
- Turbinado or brown sugar (I've never tried it with white sugar, but it might work)
- Coconut oil
- Essential oils (optional)
1. Melt the coconut oil. Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature so if unless it's warm in your house, you'll need to melt the coconut oil in a pan on the stove or in the microwave. You don't need it super hot - just melted into a liquid so you can mix in the sugar. Once it's liquefied, take it off the heat.
Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Peaches
Small decisions add up when it comes to your health. Opting for a healthy dessert that skips the whipped cream in favor of rich, delicious Athenos Greek yogurt is a big start. We picked this recipe to share this week since it delivers big, satisfying flavor without tons of ...read more
Low Sugar Banana Muffins
Sharing recipes and healthy meal solutions for our kids is one of our Momtrends' missions. This week we're featuring a Low Calorie Banana Muffin recipe that's ideal for tucking into lunch boxes or for an after school treat. Related: Throw a pancake party Why Bananas? Here are ...read more
Family Ski Trip to Gunstock Mountain in New Hampshire
My journeys to ski New Hampshire started almost a decade ago. When I had a young ski racer, she qualified for a regional championship race at a mountain called Gunstock. It sounded exotic and steep! We were used to our tiny little hill in Connecticut and then skiing the powder ...read more
2. Add in the sugar. Mix in your sugar of choice. I've used both turbinado and brown sugar and both work well. I usually just eyeball the ratio, but you're looking for all the sugar to be covered in the oil. You can also make this with sea salt instead of or in addition to the sugar. I just found that the salt scrub was a bit painful after shaving and prefer the sugar version.
3. Add in essential oils, if using. I usually just stick with the sugar and oil, but for the holidays it could be fun to mix in peppermint or lavender or another essential oil.
4. Pour into jars. I like to use these mini glass canning jars which are available at many grocery stores, but you could also use a container like this or this. You want it to be big enough that you can get your hand into it to get the scrub out.
5. Let it cool - then add fun packaging or extras. Once the mixture is cool, add a lid and it's ready to give! If you're looking for fun ways to spruce up the gift, you can tie on a spa-like bamboo spoon or your own printable apothecary labels.
From co-workers to teachers, your favorite babysitter to your sister-in-law, this sugar scrub makes a great and easy holiday gift - and amazingly soft winter skin!
Momtrends was not paid for this post.