Looking for something a little different to serve this holiday season? Skip the traditional eggnog and instead serve up a batch of this hot apple cider nog - all the creamy goodness that you love of eggnog but with the added sweetness and seasonal touch of hot apple cider. Mmmmmm....
This is practically dessert in a cup and perfect for a cold evening get-together. If needed, you can make this nog non-alcoholic for kids or other non-drinkers by leaving out the bourbon. Otherwise, leave it in for how the bourbon balances the sweetness of the cider and adds to the warm-belly feeling.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Optional garnishes - cinnamon sticks, apple slices, freshly grated nutmeg
- Whisk together first 8 ingredients (half-and-half through salt) in a large heavy saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally, until mixture thickens and coats a spoon (about 15 minutes).
- Stir in bourbon, if desired. Top each serving with whipped cream. Garnish, if desired. Makes about 5 cups.
Don't these look so tasty?? I mean, that one in the Moscow mule mug...#allthehearteyes
Have leftover apple cider? Check out this post of other delicious ways to use up the rest of the bottle.