I rip out recipes from all sorts of magazines. So I've got little slips of paper littering several spots in my kitchen. Now I'm getting organized and stashing my ideas in a new oven-shaped recipe box from Tatutina. The hand-painted boxe includes dividers (I simply paste the recipes from magazine on index cards and slip them inside). It's a sweet gift and a great way to inspire me to try something new for my family. Tatutina's got a few styles to pick from they make wonderful Mother's Day gifts for any mom who knows her way around the kitchen. $25
And as a Mother's Day treat, here's a favorite Veggie Pasta recipe* (my toddler eats it because she loves peas and cheese!) for you to make for mom.
1 pound asparagus (great right now)--trim off ends and cut into thirds
1 cup frozen peas
1 pound fresh linguine (angel hair also works)
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup olive oil 3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1 4 oz package of feta cheese
1/2 cup parsley cleaned and chopped
3 scallions thinly sliced
- Bring a large pasta pot full of water and a pinch of salt to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to heat up, blend feta package, basil, mint, salt, pepper and olive oil in Cuisinart or blender until well-mixed. Set aside.
- Toss in asparagus in boiling water for 4-6 minutes. Add peas. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add linguine (if using dried linguine, add the pasta with the asparagus since it will take longer to cook).
- Strain veggies and pasta into a bowl. Then return to pot.
- Add feta mixture, parsley and scallions.
*adapted from a Gourmet "Every Day" meal.
Oh, and if mom doesn't cook, I love Tatutina's Mom "Fun Little" treasure boxes. Perfect for holding jewelry (I keep one in the bathroom and place my rings and my watch there when I give the girls a bath). $12