Winter is a time to visit family for the holidays, plan your ski vacation or get away from the cold on a warm, sandy beach. Whatever this season brings, if you're traveling this winter, arm yourself against germs and protect your immune system with these healthy travel tips:
1. Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated keeps mucous membranes moist, which lowers the chance of a cold or flu taking hold in your nose or lungs.
2. Get enough sleep. Avoid the sniffles by getting adequate sleep. A lack of sleep will weaken your immune system, not only reducing T cells, but also impacting levels of proteins called cytokines. Research shows that your risk rises significantly if you sleep for under seven hours a night, and the less you sleep, the more likely you are to weaken the immune system—making you more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus, such as the common cold.
3. Support your body with herbs and supplements. There are two types of healthy immune function: innate and adaptive. Innate immunity is the kind you are born with. It’s your body’s first, general response to all immune stressors. Adaptive immunity is the kind you acquire over time through exposure to the environment. It’s your body’s learned response to specific immune stressors. Twinlab’s new and improved Immunity Booster™ was formulated with clinically tested ingredients that help to support both your innate and adaptive defenses.*
Oral health is another important aspect of immunity. Twinlab’s tasty and micro-sized Triple Action Oral Health Dots have been found in clinical research to support a healthy throat and ears, as well as support the body’s natural immune defenses—making them the perfect traveling companion.*
Cookbook for Moms Who Ski and Ride
Winter is here and it's time for outdoor adventures. Skiing, hiking and sledding can make a family hungry. This winter, there's an awesome solution for moms a new cookbook for moms who ski and ride. The Ski Moms Cookbook is a digital cookbook with 35 recipes that are easy to ...read more
How to Make an Easy Paper Plate Snowman
If you live on the East Coast, it's likely you've seen some snow already, same for our friends out in the Rockies. There's something magical about a snow day and the playing outside in a winter wonderland. This craft is inspired by the simply joy of making a snowman. Whether you ...read more
Skip the Crowds and Take Your Family Skiing in Waterville Valley
After a sizable snow storm over Martin Luther King weekend, there were plenty of lift lines and skiers heading to Vermont. Amazingly, most of them drove right past an awesome resort. I'm encouraging families to skip the crowds on the next winter holiday and take a family ski trip ...read more
Prefer a soothing cup of tea? Try Alvita's Echinacea or Echinacea & Goldenseal herbal supplement teas to support healthy immune function. Also, protect your respiratory health with the delicate floral aroma and pleasantly mild flavor of Elder Flower tea or the delightfully sweet flavor of Licorice Root. Alvita carefully selects each of its organic teas to ensure proper dosage, maximum benefit and best taste.
4. Avoid germs. Wash your hands often and use a hand sanitizer when you don't have access to soap and water.
5. Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet. Good nutrition is important way to give your body the boost it needs to fight infection. Pack healthy foods to bring with you on your travels including fresh fruit, nuts and vegetables rich in protein and antioxidants.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.