Winter is a time to visit family for the holidays, plan your ski vacation or get away from the cold on a warm, sandy beach. Whatever this season brings, if you're traveling this winter, arm yourself against germs and protect your immune system with these healthy travel tips:
1. Drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated keeps mucous membranes moist, which lowers the chance of a cold or flu taking hold in your nose or lungs.
2. Get enough sleep. Avoid the sniffles by getting adequate sleep. A lack of sleep will weaken your immune system, not only reducing T cells, but also impacting levels of proteins called cytokines. Research shows that your risk rises significantly if you sleep for under seven hours a night, and the less you sleep, the more likely you are to weaken the immune system—making you more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus, such as the common cold.
3. Support your body with herbs and supplements. There are two types of healthy immune function: innate and adaptive. Innate immunity is the kind you are born with. It’s your body’s first, general response to all immune stressors. Adaptive immunity is the kind you acquire over time through exposure to the environment. It’s your body’s learned response to specific immune stressors. Twinlab’s new and improved Immunity Booster™ was formulated with clinically tested ingredients that help to support both your innate and adaptive defenses.*
Oral health is another important aspect of immunity. Twinlab’s tasty and micro-sized Triple Action Oral Health Dots have been found in clinical research to support a healthy throat and ears, as well as support the body’s natural immune defenses—making them the perfect traveling companion.*
Prefer a soothing cup of tea? Try Alvita's Echinacea or Echinacea & Goldenseal herbal supplement teas to support healthy immune function. Also, protect your respiratory health with the delicate floral aroma and pleasantly mild flavor of Elder Flower tea or the delightfully sweet flavor of Licorice Root. Alvita carefully selects each of its organic teas to ensure proper dosage, maximum benefit and best taste.
4. Avoid germs. Wash your hands often and use a hand sanitizer when you don't have access to soap and water.
5. Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet. Good nutrition is important way to give your body the boost it needs to fight infection. Pack healthy foods to bring with you on your travels including fresh fruit, nuts and vegetables rich in protein and antioxidants.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.