Earlier this year we focused on fit moms. Jennifer Leal definitely qualified, and yet she's also an accomplished chef. I simply didn't know where to feature this multifaceted mama! Her blog,SavorTheThyme.com is all about nourishing the family. From kitchen delights to parenting tips, this is a must-read blog for the modern mom. But Jennifer's also an athlete so you my lucky readers are going to get a bit of both--food and fitness.
First, I wanted to share a recipe from Jennifer's site. I love how she incorporates kids into her menus. This Baked Chicken Tenders recipe, might just inspire you to forgo the store-bought version and whip up your own chicken strips.
1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/3 cup rice milk
1 egg white
1/3 cup sliced almonds (for even better flavor, toast them first)
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt & a dash
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Toast two pieces of whole wheat bread into the toasted on the medium setting and toast. Remove and allow to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare baking sheet by placing cooling rack on top of it.
3. Combine egg white and rice milk in a bowl and mix well. Add a dash of salt.
4. Cut chicken into tenders/strips
5. Chop toast into small squares and place into food processor with the almonds and oats. Pulse to combine, pour into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
6. In assembly line fashion, dip chicken into milk/egg mixture, then dredge into breading, coating evenly and placing onto cooling rack.
7. Bake for 15 minutes.
Now let's find out how this mom of two kids (ages 4 and 6) keeps up her energy! Jennifer is 40 (though you'd never guess it) is based in Rhode Island and here's what she had to say about fitness and motherhood:
Fitness goal for 2010:More Aerobic/Cardio. Exercise to increase Endurance
Biggest fitness accomplishment: Making fitness a priority, even after having babies
I like working out: weight lifting alone but aerobics with a group
b.) with groups
You can find me: a.) at the gym
a.) at the gym
c.) in front of my favorite DVD
d.) with my wii
My favorite time of the day to workout:Morning
My sneaky fitness trick: Tightening Abs and Buns while driving-hold tight 10 seconds (note--do not attempt this while on phone we don't condone distracted driving!)
Why I workout: To remain strong & healthy
Favorite fitness brand (shoe, apparel, etc.): Athleta
A typical week's worth of workouts looks like: 4 days weights/2 days Pilates/2 days Aerobics
I stay motivated by:Walking in front of the bedroom & bathroom mirrors in my bra & undies (usually in the morning and when washing up at night)