This girl is a wee bit in denial that the holidays are over, so I'm hangin' on to anything holiday(ish) that still works simply because it's winter. Hot chocolate is definitely something my family enjoys during the holidays, but there's no reason we can't sip on a steaming cuppa chocolate goodness on any old winter evening, holiday or not! Am I right?
In fact, I've been noticing a slew of red wine hot chocolate drinks popping up all over Pinterest, so I decided to tackle one myself. Now, being ever short on time, I opted to work some hacks into the equation. More involved recipes call for real chocolate and a lot more time, whereas I went for a pre-made hot chocolate mix and relied on hot milk to heat up the wine instead of giving it some time on the stove too. If I'm anything, I'm all about easy!
Ingredients (serves 1):
3/4 cup of milk
4 oz. of red wine
1 1/2 tbs. of hot cocoa mix
1 Hershey's Kiss (optional)
1. Pour the wine in a mug and set aside.
2. Bring the milk to a simmer (be careful not to scald it) on the stove.
3. Add the hot cocoa mix to the mix and stir. (Here is where you can pop in the Hershey's Kiss candy if you so desire. The hot milk will melt it and make your hot chocolate extra chocolatey).
4. Pour the piping hot mixture into your mug of wine.
5. Enjoy! And enjoy you will...I promise. I know it sounds like an add combination, but you know how delicious a nice chocolate and wine pairing is right? Well, put the two flavors together in a cup and the flavor is divinely decadent!
And for more cocktail inspiration, head over to The Shopping Mama for their Saturday Sips!