Wisconsin and cheese. They just go together. When the cheeseheads sent out a press release about a new Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy microsite, I had to check it out. The site features 30 delectable grilled cheese sandwich recipes with stunning photography.
If you loved grilled cheese, try something new like the The Lil' Kahuna a sweet-spicy flavor of the islands with Wisconsin Pepper Jack, ham, pineapple, sautéed bell peppers and onions on King's Hawaiian Bread.
Ingredients (Servings: 4)
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
* 4 fresh or canned sliced pineapple rings
* 1 yellow or Spanish onion, sliced about 1/8" thick
* 1 large red bell pepper, sliced about 1/8" thick
* 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, divided
* 4 slices King'??s Hawaiian Sweet Bread, split
* 8 slices Wisconsin Pepper Jack cheese
* 8 ounces smoked ham, sliced
Heat a saute pan over high heat. Add olive oil and pineapple slices; cook each side for about 1 minute to caramelize. Remove pineapple and return pan to heat. Add onions and peppers and sauté 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 4 slices of bread. Top each with 1 slice Pepper Jack, 2 ounces ham, 1 pineapple ring, 1/4 of the peppers and onions, and another slice of Pepper Jack, in that order. Place tops on sandwiches. Spread tops with about 1/2 tablespoon butter and grill until sandwiches are golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, turning once during grilling and adding additional butter to pan, if necessary.
Fun Ways to Discover Venice Italy with Your Family
Greetings from Italy wear the gelato is rich, the clothes divine and the scenery is inspiring. Now that I've been to this fine city in the north of Italy, twice, I've amassed a list of favorites to share. These are some fun ways to discover Venice, Italy with your family. ...read more
Best of Northern Italy Villa Cipriani Luxury Resort Review
Italy is a country that just keeps surprising and delighting me. After visiting the larger cities and making a few trips south to Sicily, Mr. Momtrends and I ventured to the northern part of the country on our last trip. Our home base was the delightful Villa Cipriani. This ...read more
Here's What No One Tells You About Olive Oil
produce is at its absolute PEAK right now. It's the time to prepare fresh veggies and fruit with ease and simplicity. When it comes to cooking, the farmer's market is my muse. As I prepare some of my summer harvest favorites, I'm sharing a little secret, what you put ON the ...read more
For the other 29 tasty treats head to www.grilledcheeseacademy.com
When it comes to BLT sandwiches, try this healthy twist. The height of tomato season has come and gone. As my final homage to my favorite food I am presenting the Perfectly healthy BLT.
Whole Wheat Pitas
Tomatoes (ripe and in season please)
Arugula (washed and dried)
- Broil the turkey bacon on a cookie sheet in your oven (I find it is impossible to get turkey bacon crisp any other way). Then split a small pita in half and toast.
- This sandwich is mostly about the tomato (as it should be). Slice it thick and only use the very best.
- Spread the mayo on the pita, layer your tomato and then the bacon, top with arugula and serve warm.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.