Wisconsin and cheese. They just go together. When the cheeseheads sent out a press release about a new Wisconsin Grilled Cheese Academy microsite, I had to check it out. The site features 30 delectable grilled cheese sandwich recipes with stunning photography.
If you loved grilled cheese, try something new like the The Lil' Kahuna a sweet-spicy flavor of the islands with Wisconsin Pepper Jack, ham, pineapple, sautéed bell peppers and onions on King's Hawaiian Bread.
Ingredients (Servings: 4)
* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
* 4 fresh or canned sliced pineapple rings
* 1 yellow or Spanish onion, sliced about 1/8" thick
* 1 large red bell pepper, sliced about 1/8" thick
* 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, divided
* 4 slices King'??s Hawaiian Sweet Bread, split
* 8 slices Wisconsin Pepper Jack cheese
* 8 ounces smoked ham, sliced
Heat a saute pan over high heat. Add olive oil and pineapple slices; cook each side for about 1 minute to caramelize. Remove pineapple and return pan to heat. Add onions and peppers and sauté 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat large sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 4 slices of bread. Top each with 1 slice Pepper Jack, 2 ounces ham, 1 pineapple ring, 1/4 of the peppers and onions, and another slice of Pepper Jack, in that order. Place tops on sandwiches. Spread tops with about 1/2 tablespoon butter and grill until sandwiches are golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, turning once during grilling and adding additional butter to pan, if necessary.
Best Mosquito Wristband for Your Family Hikes
Do you want to know what my number one summer hiking must have is? Well, get ready because I'm giving you the lowdown on it today. You see, my family loves to hike. I mean we loooooove to hike. If there isn't a trail we can hit up while we're on vacation we are definitely not ...read more
How to Create a Cozy Reading Nook for Kids
Have a bookworm in the family? Or a struggling reader you want to encourage? Creating a cozy reading nook somewhere in your house is a great way to provide a dedicated space designed for digging into a good book. Here are the three elements of a good reading space and a few ...read more
Always brunch! And what better cocktail to have with brunch than a mimosa? With the holidays quickly approaching, gatherings will be happening more frequently as we focus more on quality time with family and friends. If you have little ones like I do, evenings can be hard to pull ...read more
For the other 29 tasty treats head to www.grilledcheeseacademy.com
When it comes to BLT sandwiches, try this healthy twist. The height of tomato season has come and gone. As my final homage to my favorite food I am presenting the Perfectly healthy BLT.
Whole Wheat Pitas
Tomatoes (ripe and in season please)
Arugula (washed and dried)
- Broil the turkey bacon on a cookie sheet in your oven (I find it is impossible to get turkey bacon crisp any other way). Then split a small pita in half and toast.
- This sandwich is mostly about the tomato (as it should be). Slice it thick and only use the very best.
- Spread the mayo on the pita, layer your tomato and then the bacon, top with arugula and serve warm.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.