The weekends are all about relaxing and this weekend I am adding some pink to my evening by enjoying a vibrant glass of Rioja. As a wine from central Spain, Rioja is Spains oldest and most prominent wine region that is made with tempranillo grapes.
Personally, I loved the Luis Alerge Rosado Lagrima that is the result of contact for around 36 hours between the must and the grape skins. This results in a blend of wine that featuring a combination of subtle and light flavors that is also really fresh and fruity. Perfect for summer, it was incredibly light and a perfect combination with a dish I made with mushrooms, rice and fish. It can also be paired with chicken, pork and various cheeses - making it a great wine for entertaining. They are also really affordable (around $8 a bottle) so you easily share this wine and enjoy a wine that was named "2011's Wine Region of the Year" by Snooth.
Inspired to add some pink to your life? Here's how to have your very own pink party.
- Smoked Salmon Canapes: Top rounds of rye bread with a dollop of cream cheese, dill, diced red onion and a slice of smoked salmon. An elegant crowd pleaser.
- Frozen Strawberries: Dip the berries in Greek yogurt and freeze on parchment covered sheet pans. Slice and serve for a pretty pop of pink and a small indulgence on a hot day.
- Pink Maple Popcorn: A touch of red food dye and a little pure maple syrup adds color and depth of flavor, transforming this simple snack into tasty eye candy.
- Pink Wines: For the most versatile summer wine, and best value, look at imported wine for hidden gems, such as Rosado (Spanish for rosé) from the Rioja region in Spain. Starting at $8, the typical soft berry flavors and crisp acidity these wines have make them the perfect pairing for anything from grilled salmon to chicken tacos.
- Marques de Vitoria Rosado 2012 (SRP $8)
- Marques de Cáceres Rosado 2012 (SRP $9)
- Sierra Cantabria Rosado 2012 (SRP $10)
- Cortijo Rosado 2012 (SRP $11)
- Muga Rosado 2012 (SRP $14)
- Berry Ice Cubes: To keep things fresh, freeze mixed berries and filtered water in ice cube trays. Cool down your favorite beverage with this pretty touch of pink.
- Colorful Straws: Display ribbon-wrapped mason jars with pink polka dot straws to dress up a summer punch or sangria.
- Balloons, pom poms and lanterns: Buy different shades of pink balloons, paper pom poms and lanterns to create a festive feeling to your patio.
- Seasonal Flowers: The only thing more elegant than a glass of Rosado is assorted seasonal pink blossoms garden roses, peonies, gerber daisies, zinnias just pick your favorites!
- Pay Attention to the Details: Substitute paper napkins for shocking pink, hemstitched cloth napkins or offer individual candy striped bags with pink popcorn. The smallest details will make the biggest impact on your guests..
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We were given some samples.