He never saw us. Never checked his mirror or over his shoulder as he merged into our lane. And it if wasn't for a quick swerve by my husband, he certainly would have crashed right into us. A close call, and one that reminded me of the importance of a quality car seat.
All car seats manufactured in the United States have to pass certain safety standards. But some companies go above and beyond to provide additional safety features - Britax is one of those companies. Britax recently added a new combination harness-2-booster to their collection: the Frontier 85 SICT.
This new seat mirrors the safety features of the traditional Frontier 85 seat with one primary addition:
"Side Impact Cushion Technology features energy-absorbing cushions on the exterior of the child seat to reduce side impact crash energy by 45% by diverting crash forces away from your child and providing extra protection for the adjacent passenger."
The Frontier 85 SICT also has an easy-to-remove cover which means you won't have to disassemble the entire booster just to get those smashed blueberries out of the fabric. Like the original Frontier 85, the new SICT model has a plethora of fabulous safety features.
* True Side Impact Protection '?? Britax'??s patented design that distributes the force of the crash, and protects the head, neck and body by keeping the body aligned to reduce injury
* EPS Foam Liner '?? absorbs and distributes the impact from a crash
* Versa-Tether '?? anchors the back of the car seat at two different points, minimizing the forward movement of the seat in a collision
* HUGS (Harness Ultra Guard System) '?? prevents forward head movement in a crash
* simplified and secure installation with either the LATCH connectors or the color-coded vehicle belt guides
But the Frontier 85 SICT isn't just all safety and security. It also has some comfort features for your car seat rider.
* plush yet durable material and padding provide comfort and keep passenger cool
* 10 harness height positions with no-re-threading harness
* 3 seat buckle positions to ensure a snug fit
* 2 built-in cup holders that easily fit sippy cups, snack containers and 20-oz. water bottles
* built-in, fixed armrests
* soft shoulder and crotch pads
The Frontier 85 SICT isn't cheap (in any sense of the word), but it does have a long range of use: from 25-85 lbs as a forward-facing car seat and from 40-120 lbs as a belt-positioning booster. And right now it's available for 20% off at Amazon.com. Britax car seat are definitely an investment but with their durability, high-quality safety features and long range of use, I think they are an investment worth making.
Momtrends was not paid for this post. Thanks to Britax for providing a sample for this review.
Photo Credits: graur razvan ionut / FreeDigitalPhotos.net