When planning out the spring cleaning, don’t forget about the pantry. This year, Kelapo Coconut, the extra virgin coconut oil brand, is encouraging people across the country to pay extra attention to this area of the home. Kelapo Registered Dietitian, Carrie Gabriel, lays out the five easiest ways to make positive changes in almost any diet.
1. Eat Healthy Fats: According to Gabriel, fats are not the (complete) enemy in the American diet. “Your body actually needs fat in order to aid in the absorption of certain vitamins, therefore a diet devoid of fat is, in fact, a diet that’d leave you devoid of essential vitamins,” Gabriel says.
Her go-to choices are olive oil for salads and cold dishes, and coconut oil for cooking and baking. “Coconut oil can actually help aid in weight loss, targeting belly fat and helping boost your metabolism. Coconut oil also helps to control blood sugar levels,” Gabriel adds. She also suggests eating every two to three hours to aide in blood sugar levels.
2. Cut out Processed Foods: This may sound like the most difficult thing to do, provided the hectic pace most Americans lead, however Gabriel says it may be the most important. “Clean eating is NOT a diet, it is a lifestyle choice,” she explains. “When someone chooses to ‘eat clean’ they are choosing to eliminate all processed foods and extra additives from their diet, leaving room for only whole, unrefined foods.”
If packaged foods cannot be avoided, Gabriel suggests looking for ones with as few ingredients as possible.
New Victory Announces a New Season of Shows
We know you're busy planning picnics and summer outings, but we wanted to let you know that The New Victory just announced their new season and it looks fantastic. We thought you'd like a sneak peek of what's in store! Each year the New Vic theater brings culture to tourists and ...read more
Fun Ways to Discover Venice Italy with Your Family
Greetings from Italy wear the gelato is rich, the clothes divine and the scenery is inspiring. Now that I've been to this fine city in the north of Italy, twice, I've amassed a list of favorites to share. These are some fun ways to discover Venice, Italy with your family. ...read more
Best of Northern Italy Villa Cipriani Luxury Resort Review
Italy is a country that just keeps surprising and delighting me. After visiting the larger cities and making a few trips south to Sicily, Mr. Momtrends and I ventured to the northern part of the country on our last trip. Our home base was the delightful Villa Cipriani. This ...read more
3. Find the Greens: Gabriel suggests getting back to nature when eating fruits and vegetables. Avoid fruit in syrup, which adds to the natural sugar in the food. Some of her favorite vegetables include spinach, kale, chard, arugula, broccoli, bok choy, collard greens and bell peppers because of their high vitamin and fiber content.
4. Choose the Right Grains: “You can enjoy grains, but stick to whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, pats and the like,” suggests Gabriel. “These grains give you energy, fiber and take longer to digest so they keep you full longer.”
Gabriel says substituting for alternative flours, like coconut or almond, are great choices for those with dietary restrictions, like a gluten allergy.
5. Opt for Meat Straight from the Butcher: Just like the vegetables, Gabriel says real is best. “Make sure your meat is straight from the butcher, or, at the very least, they are organic and not pre-packaged,” she explains. Her choices are wild salmon and organic chicken or turkey to avoid added antibiotics.
Overall, Gabriel says being resourceful with the dishes can help keep the motivation going. “Try to eat things with minimal ingredients and get creative,” she says. “Broccoli with salsa? Chicken marinated with mustard and lemon pepper? Sweet potatoes baked with a little coconut oil and cinnamon? All delicious and all clean!”
Momtrends was not paid for this post.