Memorial Day is almost here and it's time to think beach. The beach is the perfect home for sandcastles, water fun, and some unwelcome food borne illnesses. Families can easily avoid snacks that will spoil. Dietitian and nutritionist, Elisa Zied, author of Nutrition at Your Fingertipsoffers five easily portable, sun-proof, diet-friendly foods to throw in the beach bag this coming beach season:
1. Nuts- Crunchy and delicious, nuts provide omega-3 fatty acids that are heart healthy and are also rich in healthy monounsaturated an polyunsaturated fats. Bring a baggie with a two tablespoon portion of almonds, cashews or walnuts.
2. Fresh Fruit '?? Washed thoroughly and packed so as not to get smashed, fresh fruits provide valuable nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium. Zied suggests the most portable fruits include: oranges, apples, and bananas or liven it up with grapefruit slices, clementines, seedless grapes or strawberries.
3. Dried fruit- Look for '??no sugar added'? when picking out dried fruits and limit portion to two tablespoons. Although not as fiber-rich as fruit, dried fruit is nonperishable and great to mix with crunchy high fiber cereal like low fat granola or nuts (choose the kind you like, but stick to two tablespoons).
4. Veggies '?? Options like edamame, celery, carrot, pepper strips are durable in packed beach bags. They also provide much needed nutrients while in the heat such as vitamin C, potassium, and Iron.
5. Grains - Whole grain crackers are great treats with lots of crunch and flavor. Pack natural peanut butter or almond butter and no-sugar jelly to put on crackers or whole grain bread. The protein and whole grains are nonperishable and will keep beach goers sated.
Get Ready for Summer Tea Collection Sale
Even if we all have to stay local, summer is going strong. As you head to the pool or day camp you might have noticed your kids GREW during the past year. Just in time for summer, Tea Collection is rolling out a big deal on swimwear and graphic tees for kids. I've enlisted some ...read more
The Key to a Great Overnight Oat Recipe
Working moms know the importance of meal planning. I'm getting ready for busy few weeks and I've been perfecting my fast breakfast options. I’ve been using Bob's Redmill Organic Steel Cut Oats to prepare my overnight oats for a nice, cold breakfast in the morning and I'm going to ...read more
Morning Sickness Relief with Sea-Band Mama
While pregnancy is this amazing and beautiful time in a women's life, it is also one that can wreak havoc on the body. From morning sickness to discomfort to cravings, the body that you once knew so well becomes this vessel for your baby. Of course, this is all worth it but ...read more
Note: All fruits and vegetables should be washed prior to use. When possible, items should be packed on ice to keep food safe and bacteria at bay. We love these Rubbermaid fun shapes that can be used again and again.
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We did receive fun shapes packs from Rubbermaid and love them.