It's National Pizza Month! An easy one to celebrate in our house. While takeout pizza might be a staple in your house on Friday nights or after a late sports practice, making pizza at home with your kids has lots of benefits. Here are six reasons you should plan a DIY pizza night now.
6 Reasons to Make DIY Pizza With Your Kids
- It's a great way to spend side-by-side conversation time. While many kids may be resistant to eye-to-eye conversations about their day, studies have found that engaging in discussion while doing a side-by-side activity can make kids more likely to share.
- It can encourage kids to try new toppings. Kids are always wiling to try new things when they play a role in making them. Plus, when kids get to put the topping on themselves, it's less intimidating to try a few bell peppers or olives on just one of their slices. Set a challenge for every family member to try one new topping.
- It can be as easy - or hard - as you want. If you have the time, making your own dough can be a fun way to get your hands dirty and talk with kids about mixing, measuring, and how dough rises. But you can also pick up some pre-made dough from your local supermarket or take-n-bake pizza place like I did. $2 for pre-made, pre-rolled out pizza dough? I'm sold.
- It lets you have conversations about healthy eating. Ok, so pizza isn't exactly a health food, but any time you are cooking with your kids, it provides opportunities to talk about healthy eating, portion size and eating a balanced diet.
- It's a great way to clean out the fridge. Half a bell pepper left in your veggie drawer? Pre-chopped onion that needs a home? Last night's chicken to use up? DIY pizza is a great way to make sure leftovers don't go to waste.
- It's fun! Slopping on sauce. Sprinkling cheese. Tossing on toppings. What's not to love! If you are brave enough (and really want to have a blast with the kids), try tossing your own dough! (Just make sure you have some back-up. You know, just in case.) Check out this pizza throwing how-to video.
Ski Moms Fun Podcast
The struggle is real, but the rewards are great. Welcome to the Ski Moms Fun Podcast for women who love the outdoors and do the hard work of getting families out into the snow to play. Listen to the Latest Podcast You can listen right on the blog or head to your favorite podcast ...read more
Great toy holiday gifts for kids of all ages
Welcome to our final gift guide! We are bringing you a Gift Guide chock full of toys for All ages, some classic, some making their debut--all of them in our top-ten! We love that you've been following along and shopping from each of our curated guides. We hope to help bring you ...read more
Giving Tuesday Shopping Loft for St. Jude
For Giving Tuesday, you can really make your shopping count. This year you can support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital by gifting LOFT fashions. They have wonderful outfits and accessories for every woman on your list, PLUS it's a great time to gift yourself something ...read more
Cooking with kids isn't always easy (or clean or fast), but it's most often a worthwhile adventure.
MORE STAY-IN IDEAS FROM MOMTRENDS
- Affordable Trader Joes-Wine
- Grilled summer vegetable hummus pita pizza
- Kids in the kitchen quick and easy mini pizzas
Looking for more food ideas? Check out the Momtrends Recipe Board on Pinterest!
Momtrends was not paid for this post.