It's National Pizza Month! An easy one to celebrate in our house. While takeout pizza might be a staple in your house on Friday nights or after a late sports practice, making pizza at home with your kids has lots of benefits. Here are six reasons you should plan a DIY pizza night now.
6 Reasons to Make DIY Pizza With Your Kids
- It's a great way to spend side-by-side conversation time. While many kids may be resistant to eye-to-eye conversations about their day, studies have found that engaging in discussion while doing a side-by-side activity can make kids more likely to share.
- It can encourage kids to try new toppings. Kids are always wiling to try new things when they play a role in making them. Plus, when kids get to put the topping on themselves, it's less intimidating to try a few bell peppers or olives on just one of their slices. Set a challenge for every family member to try one new topping.
- It can be as easy - or hard - as you want. If you have the time, making your own dough can be a fun way to get your hands dirty and talk with kids about mixing, measuring, and how dough rises. But you can also pick up some pre-made dough from your local supermarket or take-n-bake pizza place like I did. $2 for pre-made, pre-rolled out pizza dough? I'm sold.
- It lets you have conversations about healthy eating. Ok, so pizza isn't exactly a health food, but any time you are cooking with your kids, it provides opportunities to talk about healthy eating, portion size and eating a balanced diet.
- It's a great way to clean out the fridge. Half a bell pepper left in your veggie drawer? Pre-chopped onion that needs a home? Last night's chicken to use up? DIY pizza is a great way to make sure leftovers don't go to waste.
- It's fun! Slopping on sauce. Sprinkling cheese. Tossing on toppings. What's not to love! If you are brave enough (and really want to have a blast with the kids), try tossing your own dough! (Just make sure you have some back-up. You know, just in case.) Check out this pizza throwing how-to video.
Japan Adventure Park Hyatt Hotel Niseko
Are you ready for an international ski adventure with your family? The hotel is located 2 hours northeast of the New Chitose airport in the northern island of Hokkaido. We arrived via flight from Tokyo to the Park Hyatt Hotel Niseko and had five days of mountain adventures. I ...read more
Boozy Salted Caramel Apple Cocktail
If there is a time of year that I consider "my season," it is surely fall! I love everything about autumn from the crisp air to the brilliant colors of the foliage. The mountain landscape by far is my favorite. Whether I'm in the Rockies or the Appalachians, the mountains are ...read more
Make a Fall Leaf Menu for the Holidays
I'd rather throw a party than crawl under the covers. Are you with me fellow hostesses? Let's talk about harvest season. It's a favorite time to entertain. To celebrate the season, try this fall leaf menu craft. It's perfect for Thanksgiving or just for fun. We have this amazing ...read more
Cooking with kids isn't always easy (or clean or fast), but it's most often a worthwhile adventure.
MORE STAY-IN IDEAS FROM MOMTRENDS
- Affordable Trader Joes-Wine
- Grilled summer vegetable hummus pita pizza
- Kids in the kitchen quick and easy mini pizzas
Looking for more food ideas? Check out the Momtrends Recipe Board on Pinterest!
Momtrends was not paid for this post.