It's National Pizza Month! An easy one to celebrate in our house. While takeout pizza might be a staple in your house on Friday nights or after a late sports practice, making pizza at home with your kids has lots of benefits. Here are six reasons you should plan a DIY pizza night now.
6 Reasons to Make DIY Pizza With Your Kids
- It's a great way to spend side-by-side conversation time. While many kids may be resistant to eye-to-eye conversations about their day, studies have found that engaging in discussion while doing a side-by-side activity can make kids more likely to share.
- It can encourage kids to try new toppings. Kids are always wiling to try new things when they play a role in making them. Plus, when kids get to put the topping on themselves, it's less intimidating to try a few bell peppers or olives on just one of their slices. Set a challenge for every family member to try one new topping.
- It can be as easy - or hard - as you want. If you have the time, making your own dough can be a fun way to get your hands dirty and talk with kids about mixing, measuring, and how dough rises. But you can also pick up some pre-made dough from your local supermarket or take-n-bake pizza place like I did. $2 for pre-made, pre-rolled out pizza dough? I'm sold.
- It lets you have conversations about healthy eating. Ok, so pizza isn't exactly a health food, but any time you are cooking with your kids, it provides opportunities to talk about healthy eating, portion size and eating a balanced diet.
- It's a great way to clean out the fridge. Half a bell pepper left in your veggie drawer? Pre-chopped onion that needs a home? Last night's chicken to use up? DIY pizza is a great way to make sure leftovers don't go to waste.
- It's fun! Slopping on sauce. Sprinkling cheese. Tossing on toppings. What's not to love! If you are brave enough (and really want to have a blast with the kids), try tossing your own dough! (Just make sure you have some back-up. You know, just in case.) Check out this pizza throwing how-to video.
A Better Foccacia Sandwich
We've got a great picnic recipe to share. With summer here, I love all the dining al fresco options. This yummy sandwich recipe ditches traditional fattening spreads in favor or protein-packed Greek yogurt for the perfect summer focaccia sandwich. Related: Plan your perfect ...read more
Plan Your Perfect Summer Picnic
Warm evenings, no school, and farmer's markets overflowing with in-seasons fruits and veggies makes summer the perfect time for a picnic. Throw together a simple salad, some leftover chicken and an ice-cold rosé to go with some of our favorite picnic accessories. I'm sharing our ...read more
4 Ways to Enjoy Lillet
Have you tried Lillet? I admit I was a Lillet newbie, but was intrigued by Mom Boss author and Momtrends CEO Nicole Feliciano's love of it and had to give it a try. So I've had the rough assignment of getting to know Lillet this last month and am sharing my four favorite ways to ...read more
Cooking with kids isn't always easy (or clean or fast), but it's most often a worthwhile adventure.
MORE STAY-IN IDEAS FROM MOMTRENDS
- Affordable Trader Joes-Wine
- Grilled summer vegetable hummus pita pizza
- Kids in the kitchen quick and easy mini pizzas
Looking for more food ideas? Check out the Momtrends Recipe Board on Pinterest!
Momtrends was not paid for this post.