For a mother, life can be extremely stressful. With it being the New Year, there is no better time to take some time for yourself to relax, regroup and exercise. Yoga is a great way to provide self care. Even on your busiest days, squeezing in these top three yoga poses for stressed out moms can help.
Jamie Walker, a personal trainer, Yoga Instructor and founder of two fitness-focused companies shares the top three yoga poses that moms can do whenever the stress gets to be a bit too much this year.
I also highly recommend Bulldog Yoga, they offer on-demand yoga videos (the first 30 days are free) for all abilities with a great beginner series.
Top Three Yoga Poses for Stressed Out Moms: Thread the Needle
Thread the needle is great for releasing shoulder, back and neck tension.
- Begin on your hands and knees. Place wrists directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips. Point your fingertips to the top of the mat. Place your shins and knees hip-width apart.
- Center your head in neutral position (you should now be in table pose).
- Exhaling, slide your right arm underneath your left arm with your palm facing up. Let your right shoulder come all the way down to the mat. Rest your right ear and cheek on the mat, and then gaze toward your left.
- Keep your left elbow lifting and hips raised. Do not press your weight onto your head; instead adjust your position so you don’t strain your neck or shoulder.
- Let your upper back broaden. Soften and relax the lower back and allow all of the tension in your shoulders, arms and neck to drain away.
Ten Things You Can Do RIGHT NOW to get ready for ski season
I finally see snow in the forecast here in Vermont and that means ski season isn't too far away. Like all gear-intensive sports, you're going to need to do some pre-season work to make sure you're ready for the first snow day. And don't forget, skiing and riding also require ...read more
Cheesy Chicken Nacho Recipe
This week you're likely to let the kids indulge a bit on sweets. And guess what? More holidays are coming. The kids want sweets. Moms want the kids to eat well-balanced meals with plenty of nutrition. I rely on easy recipes that are ready in a flash with wholesome ingredients ...read more
Planning Snack Sized Fall Family Adventures
Fall is simply the best time of year for family adventures. When you live in New England, nature simply beckons you outdoors. Life was simpler when the girls were little, we had wide open calendars and outdoor adventures were easier to execute. But now with school plays, cross ...read more
Top Three Yoga Poses for Stressed Out Moms: Triangle Pose
Triangle pose is a foundational pose in yoga. It's an excellent pose for stress-relief and a full-body stretch. Here's how to perform the triangle pose.
- Begin standing at the top of your mat with feet hip-distance apart and arms at your sides.
- Step your feet out wide, checking to see that heels are aligned.
- Turn your right foot out 90 degrees so toes are pointing to the top of the mat. The center of your right kneecap should be aligned with the center of your right ankle.
- Pivot your left foot slightly inwards. Back toes should be at a 45-degree angle.
- Lift through the arches of your feet, while grounding down through the ankles.
- Raise your arms to the side to shoulder-height, so that they are parallel to the floor. Arms should be aligned directly over legs. With palms facing down, reach from fingertip to fingertips.
- Using a deep exhale, reach through your right hand in the same direction as your right foot is pointed. Shift your left hip back so your tailbone and pelvis are tilted toward the space behind your left foot. Fold at your right hip (always reaching out and down).
- Keep your right ear, shoulder and knee on the same plane - don’t let your torso drop forward. Turn your left palm forward, with fingertips reaching to the sky.
- Rest your right hand on outer shin or ankle. If you have more flexibility, place your right fingertips or palm on the floor to the outside of your right shin.
- Gently turn your head to look at your right thumb.
Top Three Yoga Poses for Stressed Out Moms Legs up a Wall:
This pose stretches the backs of the legs and calms the mind. It helps relieve anxiety, stress, insomnia and much more. To do this pose:
- Set a pillow on the floor against a wall.
- Sit sideways against the wall with your lower back against the pillow.
- Bring your legs up onto the wall. Use your hands to balance as you shift your weight as you lie down.
- Rest your shoulders and head on the floor. Your lower back should be fully supported by the pillow.
More Health & Fitness from Momtrends
Be sure to follow our Health & Fitness and board here.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.