January is National Family Fitness Month- to spread the spirit, I want to introduce you to 2 inspirational women who excel at motherhood and have turned their attention towards making families fit, healthy and happy. We all know first hand how difficult it is to strike the perfect balance. With helpful tips from Lisa Leslie, the most recognized player in the WNBA and fitness options from Lisa Druxman, the founder of Stroller Strides I hope to inspire you and your family to be the best you can be!
TOTSY, the online company that brings you fantastic brand specific sales of up to 90% on top brands for moms and kids has teamed up with the First Lady of WNBA Basket Ball, Lisa Leslie. A model with Wilhelmina, Lisa is a 3 time MVP and four-time Olympic gold medal winner. This active mother of 2 is an ESPN commentator and co-owner of the WNBA franchise the Los Angeles Sparks. Childhood obesity is a large concern of Lisa's as it is for all of us, she shares these simple tips with us to help us stay on the good foot.
- Consume More Water: Replace sugary drinks with refreshing water and use juice and soda as a treat. By quenching their thirst with water and training them to think of juice and soda as an occasional treat as opposed to a dietary staple, you'll help your family stay well hydrated and cut down on hundreds of empty calories per day.
- Promote Healthy Digestion: Put more yogurt in your family's daily diet. Not only do the live cultures and probiotics found in yogurt help keep your digestive tract healthy, this snack is a good source of protein and with squeezable options, it's an easy addition to lunch or the perfect on-the-go snack.
- Fuel Up with Breakfast: Make breakfast a priority. Set your alarm 15 minutes early to give you time to fill your family with a healthy start to the day or prepare healthy options the night before that are easy to eat on the way to school.
- Move More as a Family: Have the whole family put down the electronics and commit to at least 30 minutes of movement per day. Get outside! Take a jog around the neighborhood, shoot some hoops, play hopscotch. Stuck inside? Just dance!
- Eat a Balanced Diet: Make an effort to prepare meals that are colorful, diverse in ingredients and flavors and portioned intelligently. Balance lean protein, complex carbohydrates and fat at each meal to satisfy taste buds and ensure proper nutrition.
For more updates from Lisa Leslie, follow her on Twitter@LisaLeslie
Lisa Druxman, founder of Stroller Strides wants you to get super fit and bond with your new baby! Lisa is a mother of 2 with a Masters from San Diego State University in Psychology with an emphasis on exercise adherence and weight control. Having created the largest exercise program designed specifically to fit the needs of new moms. Lisa is a presenter for I.D.E.A. and is certified as a personal trainer, group fitness instructor and provider of continuing education for the American Council of Exercise as well as sitting on the board of directors for Pregnancy Awareness Month.
Check out Lisa's programs and find the one that lights you up this year!
Fit4Baby:is a program designed to strengthen the body for all the changes it will experience during pregnancy. The class includes cardio, strength, flexibility and balance training. Fit4Baby is designed to accommodate all stages of pregnancy and various fitness levels. These classes are for moms only.
Stroller Strides:A fitness program that moms do with their babies. It includes power walking, with intervals of strength and toning exercises using tubing, the stroller and the environment. Stroller Strides instructors weave songs and activities into the fitness routine designed to entertain and engage baby while moms are led thru the exercises specific to their role as mom.
Body Back: is a results-based workout designed specifically for moms. Whether they just had a baby or had a baby twenty years ago, it will help any mom get her body back. Most importantly, it will help moms unlock their personal possibilities in an inspiring and powerful environment. Body Back® clients experience targeted high-intensity workouts, inspiration and motivation in every class. When done in conjunction with Lisa's Mama Wants Her Body Back meal plan and workout DVDs, you have a surefire combination for success.
Stroller Barre: Inspired by ballet and Pilates, designed by a former professional ballerina and new mom this energetic class uses isometric training and the stroller itself for balance and resistance. The exercises are designed to rebalance the body from the strains of motherhood which tend to pull the body forward rounding the shoulders and hampering posture. Stroller Barre realigns the body with it's rebalancing exercises and gives moms the energy they
For information on all Lisa's programs check out www.strollerstrides.com
Lawson Harris has been an innovator in the fitness industry for 27 years. She is the Founder of The Lab; a place to reinvent yourself thru Pilates based fitness and balance your body through Chiropractic Care, Acupuncture and Bodywork. She is also the creator and star of the '??Pilates Everyday Training'? DVD. She is certified as a Pilates Instructor, Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Johnny G Spinning Instructor, and Shiatsu Practitioner.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.