Every year we steal ourselves for the struggle'?¦ you'??d think at this point we'??d have it down and maybe you do. For those of us who don'??t- Lisa Corsello, the founder of Burn Dynamic Group Fitness with three locations in the San Francisco Bay recently shared some tips with Momtrends on how to keep you trim and yes, sane during this holiday season.
1. Weigh Yourself Regularly: Studies show that those who weigh themselves regularly are able to maintain their weight more easily.
Lawson'??s Take: I call this the 2lb rule. Every morning I get naked, pee and weigh myself (yes, in that order). If I'??m up 2 lbs, I cut all carbs and alcohol until the needle falls back to where it belongs'?¦ at this stage of the game we'??ve got to nip it in the bud.
2. Exercise Portion Control: Don't skip meals or deprive yourself of the foods you love this holiday season. Instead, practice eating only half of what you would normally eat when it comes to dessert and less healthy side dishes. Load up on the healthier side dishes (high fiber veggies) and leaner cuts of meat (breast) so you'll stay fuller longer.
Even this is too much!
Lawson'??s Take: No one needs dessert or starchy sides everyday. Keep these indulgences to a once a week fun food day and skip it the rest of the week. Sugar and carbs are an addiction, feed the addiction and the monster loses control.
3. Stay Active: Try to carve out a bit of time for exercise each day. Not only will regular exercise help maintain your weight, but it's also a great way to relieve stress and sleep better.
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
Lawson'??s Take: You'??ll need more than a bit'?¦ 30 minutes minimum everyday. Better yet, sit down with your i phone and schedule your workouts at the beginning of the week. Make it an appointment you can'??t break. Set your '??You'? time in stone.
4. Plan Ahead: Go online and research just how many calories are in the foods you normally eat during the holiday season. Being aware of what you're putting in your body can help you find healthier alternatives. Also, try to stock up on healthy snacks that help ease cravings and satisfy your appetite.
Even these babies aren't worth 585 calories a pop- kill me now!
Lawson'??s Take: Couldn'??t agree more! Once you find out how many calories are in that cup cake, you'??ll run for the hills!!
5. Change it Up: Try a new exercise class, walking/running route, or sport. Trying something different will challenge your body in a new and healthy way, and it will help keep your routine fresh and your mind more engaged.
Lawson'??s Take: The holidays are a tough time for anyone to get thru, I'??m not sure now is the best time to start something new unless it'??s very meaningful to you. However, if you think finally starting that pole dancing class will keep you coming back for more this holiday season- by all means, work it out!!
Lawson Harris has been an innovator in the fitness industry for 27 years. She is the Founder of The Lab; a place to reinvent yourself thru Pilates based fitness and balance your body through Chiropractic Care, Acupuncture and Bodywork. She is also the creator and star of the '??Pilates Everyday Training'? DVD. She is certified as a Pilates Instructor, Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Johnny G Spinning Instructor, and Shiatsu Practitioner.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.