One of my favorite summer pastimes is tie-dying tee shirts! Every summer I gather up the kids and head to the arts-and-crafts store. We fill the bin with armfuls of crafty fun things to do on those long summer days. I pick things I know will keep the kid entertained for a while. What always ends up in the bin are tie-dye kits. My kids love creating these shirts that they wear all year long to remind them of those relaxing summer days.
Related: Cutest watermelon summer gear
Dip-Dye Watermelon Dress DIY
This year we used the dip-dye technique to make this adorable watermelon design and it turned out so cute, you might want to eat it!
It's actually much simpler than regular tie dying and it took far less time to do! Instead of buying those pre-fab tie-dying kits just pick up actual fabric dye. It may be in the same isle at the store but not placed in a cute summer eye-catching package. It may also be a bit less expensive too.
Then use any white clothing item you desire. We love the dress but we also used a tank and socks that turned out just as cute.
Try a baby onsie and I am sure you'd have an adorable little outfit for summer that everyone will be googly eyed over.
Spiked Apple Cider Pops
September in the South is, in my opinion, still summer. The eighties and nineties always prevail and make the traditional fall flavors that I crave so much slightly out of reach. As much as I want to relax and sip on some hot cider, at the moment, I still need something iced. ...read more
Japan Adventure Park Hyatt Hotel Niseko
Are you ready for an international ski adventure with your family? This new opened in January 2020, right before the big shutdown. The Park Hyatt hotel is located 2 hours northeast of the New Chitose airport in the northern island of Hokkaido. We arrived via flight from Tokyo to ...read more
Boozy Salted Caramel Apple Cocktail
If there is a time of year that I consider "my season," it is surely fall! I love everything about autumn from the crisp air to the brilliant colors of the foliage. The mountain landscape by far is my favorite. Whether I'm in the Rockies or the Appalachians, the mountains are ...read more
Dip-Dye Watermelon Dress DIY Instructions
Here is what you'll need:
- Fabric Dye in red, fuchsia (to mix and get the perfect shade of watermelon) & and dark green to emulate the rind. Get the RIT dye on Amazon here.
- White cotton garment of choice. We love this cotton skater dress we found on Amazon.
- Two large bowls or buckets
- Warm water
- Black Fabric Marker
- Rubber gloves
Dip-Dye Watermelon Dress DIY Instructions
- Start by mixing 1/4 bottle of Red & 1/4 Bottle of Fuchsia Dye to 3 gallons of warm water (the dye will set in quicker with hotter water)
- Then mix 1/2 bottle of the green dye in separate bowl or bucket to 3 gallons of warm water
- Use plastic or rubber gloves to protect hands from staining and simply dip the portion of the garment into the pink mixture approximately 3/4 of the way up the garment
- Then dip the other side into the green mixture
- Let both sides soak for about 3 minutes or until you've reached the desired shade (remember the color will fade slightly in the wash)
- Then carefully ring out both sides not getting any splatters on the opposing sides
- Lay out to dry in grass (or surface that will not stain easily) for about an hour
- Then wash separately in cold water
- Dry in regular cycle
- Then add the little watermelon seeds with a fabric marker
Since fabric dye and tie-dying can get messy, I recommend doing this outside away from anything you don't want to get stained. Add some sunshine and a couple of slices of fresh watermelon for a perfect summer afternoon!
For more fun DIY Crafts for you and the kids, head over to my blog Downtownchicmoms.com.
MORE KID-CENTRIC STYLE PICKS FROM MOMTRENDS
- The best rain gear for you and your kids from Joules
- Kidpik spring delivered to your door
- Native shoes perfect summer footwear for the family
Need more ideas on fashion for kids? Use Pinterest to save your favorite fashion finds for you and your kids. Be sure to follow our Kids Fashion and Style Board here.
This is not a sponsored post