One of our favorite fall traditions is to have family movie/craft night. Spookley the Square Pumpkin is not only the perfect movie for the holiday season, but it also has an important anti-bullying message. In a world where the only good pumpkins are round pumpkins, Spookley the Square Pumpkin is often teased by others because of his square shape. He's befriended by three bats who show him that even though he looks different, he still deserves to be the pick of the patch on Halloween. Each year my kids look forward to watching this movie and this year I decided to add a little craft to go along with it.
Having a variety of ages makes the crafting a bit complicated sometimes because what my older kids might think is fun my little one cannot do and vice versa but this project is perfect for all ages.
Supplies for Square Pumpkins:
- Craft Sticks
- Glue Gun
- Orange Paint and brushes (I like the foam brushes because it covers better and is easier for little fingers)
- Black sharpie or paint pen
1) Arrange craft sticks into a square and glue two stick lengthwise to hold the square together. I allow my elementary age kids to do this alone with my supervision with the glue gun because it's hot. I prepare the square ahead of time for my 2 year old.
2) Paint the sticks orange.
3) Once the sticks are dry draw pumpkin faces on them.
Getting Back Quality Time with Family Game Night
Slowing down is a key to happiness. This is something that is both obvious but still very hard to do - especially with our busy lives. During a recent interview with happiness expert, sociologist and parent educator, Dr. Christine Carter I learned some tips on how to focus on ...read more
The Benefits of Creating a Family Fitness Routine
We all know that kids learn best when we model behaviors for them. We can talk all we want about sharing, eating healthy and being kind, but when they see us living these values, they respond. The same goes for fitness. When we make health a priority for ourselves, the kids will ...read more
Mom Picks for Best Modern Wooden Play Gyms
Let's be honest: Most baby gyms look like a primary color explosion of yikesness. And yes, I owned one and found it an absolute lifesaver at that bewitching hour when every child under 1 starts crying right when you need to be cooking dinner. But whenever company arrived, I would ...read more
4) Attach either string to hang the pumpkins with or magnets to display them on the refrigerator with.
You now have a darling craft that can be added to your fall decor and pulled out year after year.
Here's a few more pumpkin crafts that are perfect for all ages:
This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are our own.