Momtrends had the opportunity of chatting with owner and wardrobe stylist of Dress Me Up and Down, a fashion consulting business which provides a stress free way to help people edit, organize and style their wardrobe as well as redefine the way they shop. Vanessa is a mom of two living in NYC and knows just what us mamas need in our wardrobe. Here are some helpful tips on how we can all be fashionable.
Momtrends: Tell us when and why you started Dress Me Up & Down?
Vanessa:I started Dress Me Up & Down as a result of friends and family asking me to help them with their own style issues. Whether it was advice they needed for one specific event or help with their daily wardrobe, I was always their go-to person. One day a friend of mine convinced me to do this as a business and I must have been overcome with hormones because I literally launched as my second child turned three months old.
MT: Can you tell us the services you offer at Dress Me Up & Down?
Vanessa: My services include Closet Editing/Organizing, where I help my clients purge and rebuild their wardrobe. Closet Shopping, where I style looks from the pieces they already have in their closets so they make use of their unused clothes. Finally, it can be overwhelming to walk into a store and not know what to buy so by Personal Shopping I help eliminate the frustration that can come with shopping.
MT: What are some of the hottest trends you are seeing for summer?
Vanessa: Right now what I'm loving most is WHITE!!! Its a summer wardrobe essential. I think white with gold, white with black, white with color and my favorite, white on white is so chic for the season. I also love anything with lace and crochet. From lace inserts and crochet trim to all over lace and crochet, it feels very whimsical and fun for the summer. Finally, I am OBSESSED with a printed trouser. What a great way to update the year of the pant! As summer is now upon us, I recommend choosing a lighter fabric and looser fit that hits right at the ankle to show off your shoes.
MT: Do you have any tips for us on how to organize our closet when transitioning seasons?
Vanessa: Avoid overcrowding your closet. If possible, store your off-season clothes separately, or if this isnt an option, segment your closet with your current season most accessible. If you see it, you will wear it! Something else to keep in mind, if you haven't worn it in over a year, it MUST GO! If you're having difficulty letting go or are on the fence, then I recommend holding onto to it for 6 months and revisit it to ease the separation. Also, if you have clothes in your closet that are too small or too big and youre holding onto them because you think you may be that size again one day, let it go! Just think you are making space for new clothes that actually fit right now!
Momtrends: Can you tell us five must haves every moms needs in their closet?
1. Maxi Dress: Easy one piece dressing that hides everything you dont want seen before, during and after pregnancy.
2. Fitted Blazer and/or Skinny Cardigan: When all else fails, putting on a fitted blazer or skinny cardigan will pull any look together and make you feel thinner even when youre pregnant.
3. Boyfriend Jean: So relaxed and comfortable to throw on with your favorite t-shirt and ballet flats, youll never just wear a pair of leggings to run an errand again. Switch out your flats for a killer heel or wedge at night to dress up the look. Try choosing a pair with a slimmer fit and is cropped at the ankle for extra style.
4. Colorful shoe: Adding a little color on your feet can make any outfit stand out and take your look to the next level.
5. Statement Jewelry: All you need is one WOW piece; it adds instant glam to even the most basic T-shirt and jean look.
Now go get shopping!!
Momtrends was not compensated for this post.