"The kitchen is where the the heart is", my mother used to say. So why not make it a stylish one with IKEA's affordable and functional solutions. We hopped on an IKEA webcast to find out how to redesign or refresh a kitchen for your lifestyle.
- Get inspired by looking through magazines, including IKEA's kitchen catalog. Cut-out pictures of the kitchens you love. Put them in a folder and review them to find patterns in color, style and layout. I created a portfolio that captures all of my "dream" rooms and design favorites and I use it for inspiration every time (monthly, according to my husband) I want to redecorate.
- Always measure precisely, but don't worry if you aren't a DIY person. Ikea offers a home measuring service.
- Choose a layout (L-shaped, U-shaped, Galley) that suits your lifestyle and space.
- Choose cabinets with beauty on the outside and brains on the inside.
- Avoid putting drawers in the corner.
- Select energy efficient appliances.
- Include good general lighting with adjustable dimmers and task/mood lighting to accent.
- Save drawer space with an expanding lid organizer (who knew?) and a collapsable collander ( I want one).
- Get rid of stuff you don't use or store it outside of the kitchen. You know what I mean-your great-grandmother's china that you never use.
- Develop a communication center using a magnetic or chalk board to keep the family informed.
Save Money at a Ski Swap
Are the slopes in your future? If you want to save money on ski gear, consider a ski swap. A swap is a great way to buy and sell used equipment. Most swaps consist of a variety of gear, from brand new to used skis and snowboards to skis; from poles to boots to bindings and ...read more
The Ten Best Wooden Play Kitchens For Kids
Cooking is a timeless fascination for children. This type of play goes beyond gender and teaches kids loads of life skills along the way. An investment in a play kitchen is money well spent, as it can provide hours of entertainment. We've rounded up the ten best wooden play ...read more
New Victory Announces a New Season of Shows
We know you're busy planning picnics and summer outings, but we wanted to let you know that The New Victory just announced their new season and it looks fantastic. We thought you'd like a sneak peek of what's in store! Each year the New Vic theater brings culture to tourists and ...read more
- Keep your design simple with a clean, linear look.
- Refresh with a new color scheme. Grays and Browns are in.
- Select appliances with integrated cabinets.
- Accent with colorful canisters and bamboo textiles.
- Use integrated hardware for more function and style.
- Use a rolling cart for extra work space and versatility.
- Create more storage using a vertical wall rail.
- Get a mounting dish drainer.
- Use removable light strips below cabinets to enhance lighting.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.