This Crockpot Cheesy Pierogi: recipe comes in handy. Yesterday was one of those typical days in our house. I had two kids on field trips, then one who had basketball after school. The other one wanted to stay late for a kids' cooking class at school too. Of course, he also had Scouts at 5pm, and somewhere in that story, we needed to fit in baths because there are school pictures tomorrow. Oh, and we had to eat dinner along the way.
My friend Cristi at BentOnBetterLunches shared a wonderful recipe with me, for a cheesy crockpot pierogi that was a well-needed addition to our weeknight line up. I've discovered that the crockpot is a necessity with trying to balance the schedules of two active kids, and a husband who keeps slightly odd hours. Add in some spring thunderstorms in Colorado, and this is the perfect warm recipe for a late night dinner.
Crockpot Cheesy Pierogi Ingredients:
6-12 potatoes, peeled & quartered
Pasta - I like farfalle because it has the wiggly edges like lasagne noodles
1 lb shredded cheese(s) of choice
1 cup milk (or cream)
1 lb butter, divided
1-2 onions, chopped
The Best Ski Socks for Women
Warm feet make the ski day so much more fun. Investing in good ski socks can improve your time on snow. We're sharing our picks for the best ski socks for women. Decide on the thickness and compression you need and then stock up. The 10 Best Ski Socks for Women Check out our ...read more
10 Things to Do on Your Okemo Ski Vacation
This popular East Coast ski resort has been helping families create snowy fun with families for decades. A few years ago Vail Resorts bought the property and has continues to invest in the family-friendly fun. They focus on getting kids and outdoors - because ski moms know the ...read more
Plan a Family King Pine Ski Vacation
Some of my favorite travel memories involve being outdoors in the snow with my girls. We have the best time on the lifts telling stories and plotting our perfect runs (and the perfect hot cocoa break). I work hard to carve out vacation time with the kids--time to connect and make ...read more
Suggested potato add-ins: more shredded cheese, minced garlic, grated Parmesan, bacon bits, sour cream, herbs of choice, salt & pepper
- Boil potatoes & pasta.
- While they cook, sautée onions in ½ lb butter, until golden, and set aside.
- Drain & rinse pasta, set aside.
- Drain potatoes, mash with milk (or cream) and remaining ½ lb butter.
- If desired, add other potato add-ins of choice. I add minced garlic, salt & pepper, grated parmesan and a handful of shredded sharp cheddar.
- Beginning with pasta, layer ingredients in crock-pot. You can also layer more potato add-ins if desired - I threw in some Tastefully Simple soy bacon bits atop each layer of potatoes.
- Finish with a layer of cheese. A sprinkling of grated Parmesan is good too.
- Top with the sautéed onions & butter.
- Cover and cook on low all day or on high if you tend to start late, like me.
- Done when the cheese & onion topping is hot & bubbly!
Love using your slow cooker or crockpot? Try these family friendly recipes.
WANT MORE RECIPES FROM MOMTRENDS?
Looking for more food ideas? Check out the Momtrends Recipe Board on Pinterest!