With a baby'??s room, keep three things in mind:
1) It has to be functional '?? Essentials like diapers and wipes must be easily accessible and stored in a beautiful way (get boxes or canvas crates) or hidden from sight!
2) There must be something whimsical and fun '?? I love hanging artwork above the door for something unexpected. Or to spark imaginations as your child grows, paint a chalkboardwall.
3) Above all, mom has to love it. The best way you can achieve this is if you choose colors you love and fabric that is your favorite.
My favorite place to start when designing a child'??s room is to:
1) Think traditional with a twist -Raid Grandma and Grandpa'??s attic for vintage toys, books and pictures, even hangers or clothing. All of these items can be sweetly and inexpensively framed or displayed to bring a true sense of family history and vintage chic.
2) Channel your inner designer - Have your local alterations store stitch up a simple valance and/or boudoir pillow from a favorite fabric, custom dÃ©cor on the cheap!
3) Make it custom. Use cardboard letters from Paper Source and cover them with your favorite fabric or scrap booking paper for a wonderful wall monogram.
4) Have a silhouette done of the baby. As soon as they are old enough, consider having a silhouette done of your baby. Nothing looks sweeter framed on the outside of the nursery door.
Other tricks of the trade to getting a finished look to the nursery:
1) Use unexpected pieces '?? Look around the living room. That breakfront would be darling in the baby'??s room as a way to display books, toys, blankets and cute shoes.
2) Think washable and slipcovers '?? As we all know, a washing machine is every mom'??s best friend. You child'??s room will look better if you can wash everything from the floor pillows to the slip covered chair.
3) Don'??t overlook the art '?? If the budget is tight and you want a completed room, black and white close ups of your baby'??s foot, hand, ear always look great in black frames. For something a little more inspired, go to your local thrift store and find a nursery book that you can frame the pages.
Pixie Dust DÃ©cor fabric textiles are decidedly sweet and simple while also being stylish and functional. In addition to offering fabric by the yard, Pixie Dust also offers a line of extremely popular floor pillows, crib bedding and other dÃ©cor items through the website and custom shop.
Win It! One lucky reader is going to win 2 yards of fabric (your choice!). The perfect way to complete your nursery. To enter: Visit Pixie Dust's Fabric selection here. Come back to Momtrends and leave a comment with your favorite print.
Be sure to add your contact email. Contest open to US residents ages 18 and over. Contest ends 3/31/09. Winners will be announced on a blog post. If winner fails to respond in three days a new winner will be chosen.