Welcome to Travel Month on Momtrends. Here's what we know: Cranky and irritated children can make any trip a disastrous one. Oftentimes this behavior is related to what kids eat - making it ideal to provide them with healthy and nutritious food options both before and during a flight. To make snacking easier, Momtrends found some simple snacks and meal options in order to combat fatigue and keep your kids energized.
1. Trail mix. A mix packed with nuts like walnuts, almonds and cashews are a great source of protein for your kids. Add in some dried fruits like apricots and apples for a bit of natural sweetness, vitamins, and fiber. We suggest making your own by simply placing these items in a Ziploc bag and avoiding pre-packed trail mixes that often contain sugary additives like chocolate chips.
2. Apples and peanut butter. The delicious combination of peanut butter and apples is another great way for your kids to have some protein and fiber will also filing them up. Peanut butter also contains vitamin E , vitamin B6, and the heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which is a natural way to fill up little bellies. If your kids don't like apples, carrots and celery are also excellent for trips.
3. Granola bars. Watch out for bars that are packed with sugar. We like Nature's Path Organic granola bars and Monkey Brains granola bars, which will keep your kids satisfied and also sustain their energy.
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
4. Mini-sandwiches. Pack these the night before (trust us; you don't want to think about making sandwiches the day of a flight). We love peanut butter or almond butter, jelly and banana sandwiches on whole wheat bread. Cheese sandwiches, tuna fish, and turkey sandwiches are also great for a long flight.
5. Snack happy. Kids love to snack but keeping them healthy and nutritious will go a long way in a plane ride. We love fruit leathers, dried string beans, fruit salads (a mix of berries and melons), portable yogurts, cheese and crackers, and crunchy snacks like pretzels.
What are some of your favorite travel snacks?
Serena Norr is a NYC-based writer/editor, soup-maker, and more importantly, a mama. You can read more soup recipes on her blog: seriouslysoupy.blogspot.com.
MomTrends was not paid for this post.