Next week I will be a panelist at the R Baby event "Priorities, Passions and Community." This will be a Live Webcast on March 5th sponsored by theR Baby Foundation. To prep for the event, I was treated to a media savvy lunch with a group of power moms. After the training lunch I did a bit more prep work and created a 10 point list. The public speaking tips are worthy of sharing:
- Power Bites: Think up a few great sound bites and try to work them in. Be quotable!
- Acknowledge the Group: As I will be part of a panel, it is important to listen with my body language and nodding to still participate even when I am not speaking.
- Practice: Try to get a few of the questions before you speak, and then practice your answers. No need to memorize, but do look polished. Remember this interview is your chance to share your story with viewers.
- Bullet Points: Write down a the points you want to get across. Don't read off a paragraph but do refer to your quick notes.
- Be Marketer: Use your company name or product name when making strong statements.
- Cut out the crutches: "Um" and "I think" and You know" we all use them, but they take away from the overall message.
- Remember Your Audience: Think about who is watching and why they would be interested in your answer, Try to inspire.
- Project Energy: Actively project a dynamic presence. Sit up, lean into the camera all while looking relaxed and comfortable.
- Hair and Makeup: TV lighting will wash out most people. Add a little color. Pull hair back so you don't fidget with it during taping.
- Outfits to avoid: Black and busy prints--but don't be afraid of a bold accessory or signature piece.
You never know what these appearance might lead to. So I intend to make the most of this opportunity to share my story. If you've got additional tip, please add them in a comment below.
Five Tips To For a Girl's First Leg Shave
Do you remember your first time shaving? Mine wasn’t pretty. I snuck my dad’s razor and shaved my legs dry. It wasn’t pretty. Get your daughter ready for this rite of passage with the right tools and a quick education. We've got five tips to help you navigate your daughter's ...read more
Why You Should Add Wild Blueberries to Your Diet
Do your New Year's goals involve healthier eating? Adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet? Or even adding tasty new recipes to your repertoire? We've got five reasons for you to add wild blueberries to your diet. Our friends from the Wild Blueberry Association have ...read more
Why Moms are Loving This Blueberry Couscous Salad
It's blueberry picking time. And while most blueberry recipes revolve around baked goods, we've got something different to share. First, a few sentences singing the praises of this lovely fruit. Blueberries are high in antioxidants, improve memory function and reduce the effects ...read more
R Baby Foundation is dedicated to ensuring that babies, including those in the first month of life suffering from viral infections and other infectious diseases, receive the highest quality of care and service through supporting life-saving pediatric training, education, research, treatment and equipment.
I was not paid to write this post. This post may not be used without written consent of the Editor.