Next week I will be a panelist at the R Baby event "Priorities, Passions and Community." This will be a Live Webcast on March 5th sponsored by theR Baby Foundation. To prep for the event, I was treated to a media savvy lunch with a group of power moms. After the training lunch I did a bit more prep work and created a 10 point list. The public speaking tips are worthy of sharing:
- Power Bites: Think up a few great sound bites and try to work them in. Be quotable!
- Acknowledge the Group: As I will be part of a panel, it is important to listen with my body language and nodding to still participate even when I am not speaking.
- Practice: Try to get a few of the questions before you speak, and then practice your answers. No need to memorize, but do look polished. Remember this interview is your chance to share your story with viewers.
- Bullet Points: Write down a the points you want to get across. Don't read off a paragraph but do refer to your quick notes.
- Be Marketer: Use your company name or product name when making strong statements.
- Cut out the crutches: "Um" and "I think" and You know" we all use them, but they take away from the overall message.
- Remember Your Audience: Think about who is watching and why they would be interested in your answer, Try to inspire.
- Project Energy: Actively project a dynamic presence. Sit up, lean into the camera all while looking relaxed and comfortable.
- Hair and Makeup: TV lighting will wash out most people. Add a little color. Pull hair back so you don't fidget with it during taping.
- Outfits to avoid: Black and busy prints--but don't be afraid of a bold accessory or signature piece.
You never know what these appearance might lead to. So I intend to make the most of this opportunity to share my story. If you've got additional tip, please add them in a comment below.
Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Peaches
Small decisions add up when it comes to your health. Opting for a healthy dessert that skips the whipped cream in favor of rich, delicious Athenos Greek yogurt is a big start. We picked this recipe to share this week since it delivers big, satisfying flavor without tons of ...read more
Low Sugar Banana Muffins
Sharing recipes and healthy meal solutions for our kids is one of our Momtrends' missions. This week we're featuring a Low Calorie Banana Muffin recipe that's ideal for tucking into lunch boxes or for an after school treat. Related: Throw a pancake party Why Bananas? Here are ...read more
Family Ski Trip to Gunstock Mountain in New Hampshire
My journeys to ski New Hampshire started almost a decade ago. When I had a young ski racer, she qualified for a regional championship race at a mountain called Gunstock. It sounded exotic and steep! We were used to our tiny little hill in Connecticut and then skiing the powder ...read more
R Baby Foundation is dedicated to ensuring that babies, including those in the first month of life suffering from viral infections and other infectious diseases, receive the highest quality of care and service through supporting life-saving pediatric training, education, research, treatment and equipment.
I was not paid to write this post. This post may not be used without written consent of the Editor.