My youngest is 20 months and she is DYING to keep up with her brother and sister on the road. The only problem is that developmentally she isn't quite ready to do so which causes quite a bit of frustration at our house. She no longer wants to sit in a stroller and watch them ride on our walks but she also cannot ride a bike yet. Enter the SmarTrike.
The trike grows with your child in 4 stages:
- Stage 1 – Parent-controlled trike: At 10 months, the baby is comfortable seated in the high back padded seat. At this stage the parent fully controls the trike.
- Stage 2 – Guided trike: Once the baby has grown (+18M), the high back support is removed, while safety bar still protects the child. Parents fully control the trike.
- Stage 3 – Training trike: At 24 months, fold in the footrest and let your child start learning how to pedal.
- Stage 4 – Classic trike: At 36 months, remove the parent handle, rotate the red navigator button and transform the trike from stroller mode to classic trike. Your child can now ride independently.
SmarTrike Product Features
- Patented Touch Steering® technology for easy maneuvering.
- Red navigator button for easy transition from stroller mode to trike mode
- Sun protective canopy
- Safety bar
- Seat padding
- Huge storage bag
- Shock Absorber
- Foldable footrest
- Pull-out for freewheeling
- Rubber wheels
As your child grows you can remove the basket and they can sit on the bike seat but with the ease of the handle you still have control over where they are going. In essence it operates like a stroller but the toddler thinks they are riding a bike and they can practice their balance and foot position in preparation for actual riding. This is the stage we are in and this bike has changed our evening rides. No longer is she in full meltdown as the older two take off after her but rather she squeals in delight over getting to "ride" too.
The SmarTrike has a little basket on the back to hold snacks, diapers, or other treasures picked up out on your walk, like rocks.
Once the child is ready the handle can be removed and the push bike becomes a trike that can be ridden alone.
Shop! There are several different styles of the SmarTrike ranging in price from $85 to $150, which can be found at Babies R Us.
The Shopping Mama was not compensated for this post.