Earth Day has come and gone, but, here, at The Shopping Mama, we’re always trying to embrace a greener lifestyle. We want to buy things, try things, and do things that are better for the eco-system around us. We want to feel good about the future of our world and our children. And, above all else, we want our little ones to lead healthier, happier, more fulfilling lives.
Fortunately, it’s a lot easier finding green gear for Baby, these days. It’s all about supply and demand—and parents are demanding better basics for their growing families—from clothes to furniture to bottles and feeding supplies.
As a mom to a toddler and an infant, I worry about our carbon footprint and the potential effects of certain ingredients, materials, and fabrics. I put a lot of time, thought, and care into the purchases I make for my kids. I do my research; I weigh the options; and I try to stay informed. We try to eat local at home and we go for organic options whenever feasible. (That’s not to say that my two year old doesn't occasionally ask for fast-food french fries, or that we only wear organic cotton clothes—but I pick my battles and I do my best.)
And that's why I was so happy to learn that Newton has launched a brand new and revolutionary crib mattress for Baby. Made with nothing but food-grade polymer and air, it’s safe from off-gassing, leaching, and allergens. It's also completely washable, so your baby will always sleep on the cleanest, most hygienic surface possible. Think about it: A baby is supposed to sleep 12 hours in a day--that’s a lot of time spent in a crib. So why not opt for a mattress that’s made with healthier materials—one that is comfortable (and it is--I've sampled the material), but also appropriately firm, and, most importantly, safer. To further Newton's green mission, the mattress is completely recyclable too.
That’s just one of the eco-friendly finds I'm excited to share. Below, you’ll find a few more... From little purchases—like an ergonomic wooden teething toy—to bigger buys, we think these eight green goods will be great for Baby, Mom, and Mother Nature.
1.Newton Crib Mattress, $295: This is the first 100% breathable, washable, and recyclable crib mattress on the market. You can rest easy knowing Baby will sleep well and sleep safe!
2. Nuna Leaf Baby Seat Lounger, $220: The Nuna Leaf Baby Seat Lounger and Swing doesn't use electricity or batteries, and it makes no noise; it simply uses Baby’s weight to move it gently from side to side. The removable, machine-washable cushioned seat is Oeko-Tex certified free of harmful substances and pesticides. (It's also endurance tested for up to 130 pounds!)
3. JJ Rabbit Cuppies, $9: Functional, modern, colorful, and, cute, these cuppies are perfect for little ones who are ready to make the transition from bottles and sippy cups. They feature adorable animals at the bottom of the cup as a surprise bonus too. And, best of all, they're made from plants!
4. Aden & Anais Organic Swaddles, $55: Few things are as versatile and practical as a swaddle from Aden & Anais. You can safely wrap Baby in this oversize swaddle for sleep, drape it over the stroller to block out the sun on a walk, or use it as a make-shift nursing cover on the go. Made with organic cotton muslin, these lightweight blankets are soft, breathable, and absolutely dreamy.
5. Honest & Beco Organic Carrier, $140: Made with GOTS Certified Organic cotton and Repreve, a fiber created with recycled bottles, this baby carrier was created with sustainability and safety top of mind. Mom (or Dad) can wear Baby in four ergonomic positions—even during nursing—in this lightweight, comfortable, and easy-to-use carrier.
6. babyGap Onesie, $15: Made with organic cotton, this baby onesie is soft and cozy. Featuring a drawing of a potted-plant and the phrase "Watch Me Grow," it's the perfect addition to your green baby's wardrobe.
7. Manny & Simon Wooden Teether, $14: Designed with a baby’ grasp-hold in mind, this hard-maple teether is naturally anti-bacterial, non-toxic, and non-allergenic. It’s finished with organic beeswax and olive oil.
8.Tommee Tippee Glass Bottles, $22: This bottle features everything you already love about Tommee Tippee: The easy-latch-on nipple shape mimics breastfeeding and the venting valve helps reduce gas and discomfort. Better yet, it’s made of glass—so it’s environmentally friendly and naturally free of BPA, phthalates, and toxins.
This post is not sponsored. We were sent some samples for review. This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are our own.