You've got the kids outfitted, loaded with toys and lubed up with sunscreen. Don't forget to take care of yourself this summer. When thinking about this topic I emailed my pal Christie in DC. She's a partner at a prestigious law firm, mom to three girls and a terrific cook. Plus she always looks put together (and you can't hate her...she's simply too cool). Here's how she stays looking great in the heat:
- I start with DDF organic moisturizing sunscreen. It goes on non-greasy and I like that it's zinc based. The chemical formulations burn when I put them on and this one doesn't. $28
- Then, I use the Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. I like the oil free version for the summer - especially because it's going on top of the sunscreen. It provides some coverage but nothing heavy. It also has sunscreen - but I've read it's not enough, which is why I combine with step 1.$42
- At night after I wash my face I use Murad Age Spot & Pigment Lightening Gel. It takes about 3 weeks to work - but has definitely faded some of the sunspots I have on my face from not using sunscreen in my teens and 20s. I wait for it to dry a little and then I put my moisturizer on over it. $58
As for me, my skincare routine revolves around Clarins. I've been using these products for years. I use the Clarins Line Prevention Multi-Active Day Lotion SPF 15 and was just introduced to the UV Plus Day Screen High Protection SPF 40. I contacted Clarins' Skin Spa's to get some flying tips to save my skin. Here were Kara Peterson's ideas:
- Use Clarins One Step Facial Cleanser (I use it and love it!) to remove your make-up and apply Clarins HydraQuench Intensive Serum.
- Make sure to wear socks. Not only is it comfortable, but it will also help to prevent swelling. The Energizing Emulsion For Tired Legs is also great. Apply this product for a cooling effect by starting and the base of the leg and work the product up to the thigh with firm quick movements to insure you are getting the circulation moving.
- Drink lots of water before, during and after your flight and stay away from dehydrators. If you are still feeling dehydrated and to boost your circulation, book yourself a Clarins Moisture Maximizer body treatment. It will give you something to look forward to if you run into any delays or security problems.
Kara's doesn't have any kids, but I think I can pull off at least some of her suggestions (and I'd love to treat myself to that body treatment!). Caroline Pieper-Vogt's is the Senior VP of Marekting at Clarins and the mother of 4-year-old twins. I checked in to see what another "Clarins Mommy" is up to this summer:
Where are you going this summer? Since my twins are so young, we decided to stay local and do various quick trips to the Hamptons.
Dream vacation: Travelling to Thailand and staying at an Elephant Camp
What item is always in your bag: UV Plus Day Screen SPF 40, insect repellent, and Mustela Wipes All of these items are compact and a must in my bag. I wear spf daily and make sure my children do as well. I love Clarins UV Plus SPF 40 because it is so light and my kids don't complain about wearing it.