I'm a busy mom, and often times makeup takes a back seat to things like--oh, I don't know--babies and breakfast and nursery school drop-off and diaper changes... Most days, I'm amazed if I've managed to get makeup on my face at all. But when I do get primped and prepped, I want to make sure I'm taking the necessary precautions to keep my products clean and my skin, face, and eyes safe.
Related: Cleaning up your makeup habits
Here are five practical makeup tips for moms
- Know the Expiration Date: Whenever possible, I use a Sharpie marker to write the date I opened a product right on the package--that way, I won't forget when it's time to throw it in the garbage.
- Clean Brushes: Clean brushes between uses with a tissue or baby wipe. Use a makeup cleaning spray weekly; and do a deep cleansing every three months with baby shampoo or face wash.
- Sharpen Your Pencils: Keep the tips fresh and pointy--that will help avoid germ contamination and get rid of any jagged edges that can damage your eye.
- Don't Apply Makeup in a Moving Vehicle: This should be a given, but as busy moms we can be guilty of multitasking. Seriously though, you never know when your taxi/bus/train will hit an unexpected bump. (You don't want to be curling your eyelashes when that happens!)
- Remove Makeup Each Night: Avoid raccoon eyes! Sometimes I'm exhausted and want to go straight to bed with a full face of makeup, but then I gather my willpower and give my skin a gentle cleansing. Egyptian Magic (available in Wholefoods stores) is a natural product that works wonders, and gets rid of makeup in a snap.
MORE BEAUTY FROM MOMTRENDS?
- Complexion Solutions for Stressed-Out Skin
- DIY Spa Day: Facial Masks You Can Make At Home
- Tips for avoiding breakouts
Use Pinterest to save your favorite beauty finds. Be sure to follow our Beauty board here.
This post is not sponsored. All opinions are our own.