Green Beauty Products: This month we are all about Beauty here at Momtrends. Finding natural beauty products used to be much more of a challenge. Once I found products that I deemd "safe," I often had to compromise on how effective they were. As most beauty products contain many "ugly" chemicals and nasty toxins, I try to use products that are free of parabens, phthalates, sulfates, perfums, synthetic fragrance, SLS and dye. Being a label reader is not only time consuming, it can be frustrating, confusing and often lead you down a path of uncertainty.
The EWG, (Environmental Working Group) put together a database where you can check thousands of beauty products and then get a rating or score that indicates just how safe the product really is according to the EWG. The data base is called Skin Deep and You can check your products by clicking here.
Here are 5 beauty products that work for me. They are readily available at Whole Foods, online and places where natural products are sold.
1. Mascara:I wear a lot of mascara. It is the one item of makeup I always throw on even if I don't have a lot of time. A brand that I have come to love is Gabriel. The mascara is only offered in two colors, but goes on smoothly, doesn't clump, doesn't interfere with my contacts and is removed easily. It creates long, voluminous, defined lashes. I find that I can wear it all day without it needing to be retouched. (Before heading out for the evening, I do need to reapply a bit, but this is a hassle I'm willing to deal with to know that I'm not putting harmful chemicals into my eyes!)
5 Pretty Ways To Organize Your Jewelry
I admit - I'm guilt. Despite my best efforts, my "jewelry drawer" has become a tangled mess of necklaces, bracelets and earrings. This cluttered collection not only makes it hard to see what I have, but difficult to untangle the pieces I do want to wear! This summer, I'm ...read more
This Year's Coolest Jumbo Pool Floats
Pool season is almost here! I can't wait to relax, read a book, and sip a cocktail while lazily drifting in an oversized float. (Just kidding, I have two toddlers--but a swim mama can dream, right?). If you've got a staycation planned, check out this year's coolest jumbo pool ...read more
Crystal Clear and Pristine: Pool-Cleaning Tips
Tropical Storm Isaiah gave us quite the midsummer surprise here in the suburbs of New York City. We just got our power back on after a whole week of darkness! With trees down, debris everywhere, and lots of uncertainty, one thing we forgot to check on: our above ground Intex ...read more
2. Body Moisturizer: I started using Dr. Bronner's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil for an all over body moisturizer and my skin is soft, supple, and it smells delish! A little bit goes a long way and coconut oil has a multitude of health benefits including anti aging properties. I love that the product 100% natural, organic and fair trade! I purchase it online as it can be almost 50% more expensive in a health food store. Click here to purchase.
3. Hand Lotion: Dry, cracked hands are uncomfortable and definitely can age you by more than 10 years! Keep your hands soft by first scrubbing them with an easy scrub of water and baking soda, rinse and then apply Indian Hemp & Haitian Vetiver hand cream by Nubian Heritage. It is thick, creamy but not slimy, smells aromatic and lasts even after you wash your hands. I have noticed a major improvement in the look and feel of my hands since I starting using it. Made in the USA with certified organic ingredients.
4. Lip balm, gloss and stick: I rely on the fun, recyclable tubes from Mad Gab's. I love the smooth feeling of their products, not too sticky, provide good coverage and come in a variety of colors. I love that I know I'm not ingesting chemicals but still get great lip shine, color and moisture.
5. Cosmetics: The best "go to" cosmetics line I have found is by Dr. Hauschka. Most of the ingredients used are grown bio dynamically and organically, or ethically wild-harvested, have no chemical additives, are in no part involved in animal testing, and are packaged in an ecologically friendly way. The company practices fair trade policies, is active in local communities and is committed to supporting environmentally conscious practices from harvesting, to creating, all the way through to manufacturing.
Momtrends was not compensated for this post.