It'??s the bane of almost every body. 90% percent of all women have it. Yes, even the really skinny ones.
Cellulite. Just the mention causes your stress level to rise with spring'??s dress hems.
And we know what peeling away the calendar pages means.As we get closer to the warmer seasons of skin, there go layers of leggings and skinny jeans (our safety nets against exposed skin). And with that comes the potential display of lovely orange peel dimpling on our butts and thighs.
Known mostly as a hereditary "gift," consider it your destined bumpy road to walk. Thanks, mom. This dimpled appearance is caused by fat deposits just below the surface, and an individual's genes are largely responsible for determining if and where you make get it.
Get Out and Play with a Smarter Set of Wheels
Our family has been through many wheels over the years. Since we are mostly an urban family, our kids found scootering the best way to get to school. My kids got bigger, so I’ve been researching options for them. Now it's time for an upgrade to our wheels and we've got some ...read more
The Best Diaper Pails and Accessories
I do believe diapering is the one activity we do the most of when our kiddos are young. For more months than I care to remember, I changed diaper after diaper after diaper. An all inclusive list of the best diaper pails and diaper accessories would have been so very helpful. ...read more
Breast Cancer Awareness Tips to Empower Yourself
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we are all about sharing tips to keep our busy moms healthy and at the top of their game. I think it's safe to say, we are all aware of Breast Cancer, but when it comes to breast-cancer prevention, we are sharing tips to help you feel ...read more
Another explanation as to why you have cellulite but your BFF doesn'??t could rest in how girly girl you are'?¦literally. Hormones like estrogen play an important role in cellulite development, explaining why men are generally cellulite-free lucky bastards.
So is cellulite treatable? Not really. The bottom line is that it'??s usually there to stay. But don't panic. There are ways to decrease its visibility. Start now with these tips and you'??ll be ready for your April vacation to somewhere sunny.
- Stay hydrated. Well-hydrated skin looks smoother and suppler, masking the appearance of lumps. Stock up on water-rich foods, like fruits and vegetables. Choose ones that are vitamin C-rich (citrus, strawberries, red bell peppers, sweet potatoes and dark leafy green vegetables) and you're pulling double duty against collagen breakdown (lost elasticity can show signs of cellulite). Also nosh on healthy fats from avocados, walnuts, almonds, seeds, salmon and flax.
- Literally...get off your butt. It'??s known that cellulite may be more prevalent in those with an unhealthy lifestyle (think smokers, sedentary lives, drinkers). Although thin people aren'??t immune, obese people are more prone. A good strength-training program (combined with fat-burning cardio) increases your chances of maintaining lean muscle as you get older, reducing your chances of increasing the size of your fat cells.
- For a good cellulite fight, you'??ll need some knead. Massage helps increase circulation, draining toxins for smoother skin. The result is temporary, so the more it'??s pushed through with regular massage, the better. Since time and cash sometimes prohibits us from frequenting a luxury spa, I was happy to take things into my own hands with the brand new Fatgirlslim Lean Machine Body Contouring System by Bliss Spa. This is a strange (but useful) small contraption that uses vacuum-assisted massage to visibly reduce the appearance of cellulite. You can use it on your legs, butt and abs. Just lather on the included Fatgirlslim lotion (it'??s the same stuff they have in their spa), set the suction level and away you (and the cellulite) go. If you want to keep it simple, try the Sephora Cellulite Massager, which you just massage over your skin in the shower to improve circulation and break up fat deposits.
- Far from delivering long-term miracles, at-home cellulite creams can increase circulation, hydrating and swelling skin for temporary tightness. Look for ingredients like blood-boosting caffeine, ginseng and green tea. One of my favorites is the Body Strategist+ by comfort zone, which has intense patches, creams and night action lotions. Another fave is the Vichy's CelluDestock. With high caffeine (5%) and Lipocidine content, it's supposed to decrease it in four weeks. Whichever one you choose, apply your cream in the morning and night for the most effectiveness. You can also make your own DIY coffee cellulite fighter'??strong, ground coffee rubbed in circles on dampened cellulite areas for one minute then rinsed.
- If you don't feel like lathering on lotions, try the Wacoal iPant. This Ã¼ber-thin undergarment is embedded with caffeine and Vitamin E microcapsules for all-day smoothing of trouble spots (it lasts up to 100 wears - hopefully getting you through several seasons). You'??re supposed to wear it eight hours a day for 28 days. The fabric isn'??t uncomfortable but it's a little tight, so it'??s doable if you really want it.
In the end, it'??s all about keeping things balanced between diet, exercise and a little pampering. Only then can you put cellulite behind you.
Cheryl Fenton is a Boston-based freelance writer, who writes beauty, fashion and fitness for Boston Common, Stuff and Glamour magazines.'?¨
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We did receive samples for review purposes.