It'??s the bane of almost every body. 90% percent of all women have it. Yes, even the really skinny ones.
Cellulite. Just the mention causes your stress level to rise with spring'??s dress hems.
And we know what peeling away the calendar pages means.As we get closer to the warmer seasons of skin, there go layers of leggings and skinny jeans (our safety nets against exposed skin). And with that comes the potential display of lovely orange peel dimpling on our butts and thighs.
Known mostly as a hereditary "gift," consider it your destined bumpy road to walk. Thanks, mom. This dimpled appearance is caused by fat deposits just below the surface, and an individual's genes are largely responsible for determining if and where you make get it.
21 Perfect Summer Cocktails
Summer is HERE! Cheers to that! We are embracing the relaxed atmosphere that Summer brings. Mamas, let down your hair and enjoy the little things in life, like cocktail umbrellas and margarita salt. To help get you in the mood for summer relaxation we've done some research and ...read more
Home Chef Pork Buying Basics
Nothing offers the smoker more versatility than the humble pig. Every cut off the pig is smoker friendly, and delivers a different delicious flavor to suit every taste. In his new book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Smoking Foods, Chef Ted Reader breaks down the different cuts of ...read more
Ultimate Refreshing Summer Poolside Punch
Time for some fun in the sun ladies and I have just the adult beverage you need! Yes, I said NEED. This poolside rum punch is so delicious and easy to make it will is the perfect recipe to whip up for the long, sunny, pool days ahead. Related: Frozen prosecco ice cubes ...read more
Another explanation as to why you have cellulite but your BFF doesn'??t could rest in how girly girl you are'?¦literally. Hormones like estrogen play an important role in cellulite development, explaining why men are generally cellulite-free lucky bastards.
So is cellulite treatable? Not really. The bottom line is that it'??s usually there to stay. But don't panic. There are ways to decrease its visibility. Start now with these tips and you'??ll be ready for your April vacation to somewhere sunny.
- Stay hydrated. Well-hydrated skin looks smoother and suppler, masking the appearance of lumps. Stock up on water-rich foods, like fruits and vegetables. Choose ones that are vitamin C-rich (citrus, strawberries, red bell peppers, sweet potatoes and dark leafy green vegetables) and you're pulling double duty against collagen breakdown (lost elasticity can show signs of cellulite). Also nosh on healthy fats from avocados, walnuts, almonds, seeds, salmon and flax.
- Literally...get off your butt. It'??s known that cellulite may be more prevalent in those with an unhealthy lifestyle (think smokers, sedentary lives, drinkers). Although thin people aren'??t immune, obese people are more prone. A good strength-training program (combined with fat-burning cardio) increases your chances of maintaining lean muscle as you get older, reducing your chances of increasing the size of your fat cells.
- For a good cellulite fight, you'??ll need some knead. Massage helps increase circulation, draining toxins for smoother skin. The result is temporary, so the more it'??s pushed through with regular massage, the better. Since time and cash sometimes prohibits us from frequenting a luxury spa, I was happy to take things into my own hands with the brand new Fatgirlslim Lean Machine Body Contouring System by Bliss Spa. This is a strange (but useful) small contraption that uses vacuum-assisted massage to visibly reduce the appearance of cellulite. You can use it on your legs, butt and abs. Just lather on the included Fatgirlslim lotion (it'??s the same stuff they have in their spa), set the suction level and away you (and the cellulite) go. If you want to keep it simple, try the Sephora Cellulite Massager, which you just massage over your skin in the shower to improve circulation and break up fat deposits.
- Far from delivering long-term miracles, at-home cellulite creams can increase circulation, hydrating and swelling skin for temporary tightness. Look for ingredients like blood-boosting caffeine, ginseng and green tea. One of my favorites is the Body Strategist+ by comfort zone, which has intense patches, creams and night action lotions. Another fave is the Vichy's CelluDestock. With high caffeine (5%) and Lipocidine content, it's supposed to decrease it in four weeks. Whichever one you choose, apply your cream in the morning and night for the most effectiveness. You can also make your own DIY coffee cellulite fighter'??strong, ground coffee rubbed in circles on dampened cellulite areas for one minute then rinsed.
- If you don't feel like lathering on lotions, try the Wacoal iPant. This Ã¼ber-thin undergarment is embedded with caffeine and Vitamin E microcapsules for all-day smoothing of trouble spots (it lasts up to 100 wears - hopefully getting you through several seasons). You'??re supposed to wear it eight hours a day for 28 days. The fabric isn'??t uncomfortable but it's a little tight, so it'??s doable if you really want it.
In the end, it'??s all about keeping things balanced between diet, exercise and a little pampering. Only then can you put cellulite behind you.
Cheryl Fenton is a Boston-based freelance writer, who writes beauty, fashion and fitness for Boston Common, Stuff and Glamour magazines.'?¨
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We did receive samples for review purposes.