It'??s the bane of almost every body. 90% percent of all women have it. Yes, even the really skinny ones.
Cellulite. Just the mention causes your stress level to rise with spring'??s dress hems.
And we know what peeling away the calendar pages means.As we get closer to the warmer seasons of skin, there go layers of leggings and skinny jeans (our safety nets against exposed skin). And with that comes the potential display of lovely orange peel dimpling on our butts and thighs.
Known mostly as a hereditary "gift," consider it your destined bumpy road to walk. Thanks, mom. This dimpled appearance is caused by fat deposits just below the surface, and an individual's genes are largely responsible for determining if and where you make get it.
Five Tips To For a Girl's First Leg Shave
Do you remember your first time shaving? Mine wasn’t pretty. I snuck my dad’s razor and shaved my legs dry. It wasn’t pretty. Get your daughter ready for this rite of passage with the right tools and a quick education. We've got five tips to help you navigate your daughter's ...read more
Why You Should Add Wild Blueberries to Your Diet
Do your New Year's goals involve healthier eating? Adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet? Or even adding tasty new recipes to your repertoire? We've got five reasons for you to add wild blueberries to your diet. Our friends from the Wild Blueberry Association have ...read more
Why Moms are Loving This Blueberry Couscous Salad
It's blueberry picking time. And while most blueberry recipes revolve around baked goods, we've got something different to share. First, a few sentences singing the praises of this lovely fruit. Blueberries are high in antioxidants, improve memory function and reduce the effects ...read more
Another explanation as to why you have cellulite but your BFF doesn'??t could rest in how girly girl you are'?¦literally. Hormones like estrogen play an important role in cellulite development, explaining why men are generally cellulite-free lucky bastards.
So is cellulite treatable? Not really. The bottom line is that it'??s usually there to stay. But don't panic. There are ways to decrease its visibility. Start now with these tips and you'??ll be ready for your April vacation to somewhere sunny.
- Stay hydrated. Well-hydrated skin looks smoother and suppler, masking the appearance of lumps. Stock up on water-rich foods, like fruits and vegetables. Choose ones that are vitamin C-rich (citrus, strawberries, red bell peppers, sweet potatoes and dark leafy green vegetables) and you're pulling double duty against collagen breakdown (lost elasticity can show signs of cellulite). Also nosh on healthy fats from avocados, walnuts, almonds, seeds, salmon and flax.
- Literally...get off your butt. It'??s known that cellulite may be more prevalent in those with an unhealthy lifestyle (think smokers, sedentary lives, drinkers). Although thin people aren'??t immune, obese people are more prone. A good strength-training program (combined with fat-burning cardio) increases your chances of maintaining lean muscle as you get older, reducing your chances of increasing the size of your fat cells.
- For a good cellulite fight, you'??ll need some knead. Massage helps increase circulation, draining toxins for smoother skin. The result is temporary, so the more it'??s pushed through with regular massage, the better. Since time and cash sometimes prohibits us from frequenting a luxury spa, I was happy to take things into my own hands with the brand new Fatgirlslim Lean Machine Body Contouring System by Bliss Spa. This is a strange (but useful) small contraption that uses vacuum-assisted massage to visibly reduce the appearance of cellulite. You can use it on your legs, butt and abs. Just lather on the included Fatgirlslim lotion (it'??s the same stuff they have in their spa), set the suction level and away you (and the cellulite) go. If you want to keep it simple, try the Sephora Cellulite Massager, which you just massage over your skin in the shower to improve circulation and break up fat deposits.
- Far from delivering long-term miracles, at-home cellulite creams can increase circulation, hydrating and swelling skin for temporary tightness. Look for ingredients like blood-boosting caffeine, ginseng and green tea. One of my favorites is the Body Strategist+ by comfort zone, which has intense patches, creams and night action lotions. Another fave is the Vichy's CelluDestock. With high caffeine (5%) and Lipocidine content, it's supposed to decrease it in four weeks. Whichever one you choose, apply your cream in the morning and night for the most effectiveness. You can also make your own DIY coffee cellulite fighter'??strong, ground coffee rubbed in circles on dampened cellulite areas for one minute then rinsed.
- If you don't feel like lathering on lotions, try the Wacoal iPant. This Ã¼ber-thin undergarment is embedded with caffeine and Vitamin E microcapsules for all-day smoothing of trouble spots (it lasts up to 100 wears - hopefully getting you through several seasons). You'??re supposed to wear it eight hours a day for 28 days. The fabric isn'??t uncomfortable but it's a little tight, so it'??s doable if you really want it.
In the end, it'??s all about keeping things balanced between diet, exercise and a little pampering. Only then can you put cellulite behind you.
Cheryl Fenton is a Boston-based freelance writer, who writes beauty, fashion and fitness for Boston Common, Stuff and Glamour magazines.'?¨
Momtrends was not paid for this post. We did receive samples for review purposes.