Having a baby means having "stuff." I am all for creating an inviting, warm space for my children but I tend to stick to items I really need, are simple in design and are versatile. I always enjoyed activity time using a play mat or activity gym as a special time to bond with my children. It gave us time to focus on one another, share a quiet moment and for my babes to explore, learn and play.
My reasons for choosing the following play mats and activity gyms:
- Organic fibers, sustainability or eco-friendly
- Clean, classic design
- Just the right amount of stimulation (NO batteries allowed!)
- Comfort, versatility and bulk factor
1. Organic Jungle Mat-made from organic cotton with a super soft feel this play mat features crinkle toys, a mirror and squeaky toys. The cozy pillow is great for neck support and although I normally don't love characters, these gentle animals are sure to be your little one's first friends. I love that it rolls up easily (and ties!), perfect for playdates, trips to grandma's and easy stowing. ($80, giggle.com)
2. Plan Toys-Wooden Activity Gym-Simple, sleek and sturdy. I love the clean design of this sustainably sourced wooden activity gym. The Plan Toys activity gym features three suspended toys for grasping, peeking and shaking. Baby will especially enjoy the mirror for spying his favorite smiley fan. I love that this activity gym is made with safe,water based non toxic paints and clean, natural rubberwood, plus all the cloth is made from organic cotton. You can remove the toys and add others as baby develops. Another plus? the wings of the creatures detach for easy cleaning. ($65, Plan Toys, Amazon.com)
3. LaLalounger-Play Pillow-I love this large, comfortable pillow from Lalalounger. It is simple, cozy and a perfect spot for baby to play with toys, roll over or just interact with the family. With no bells or whistles, choose one of the many sweet patterns available, a removable slipcover or even use a fabric of your own, this play pillow suits every parents' needs. With an inset "step" design to keep baby secure and side handles, this play mat makes keeping baby part of the action convenient, safe and calm. This play pillow is perfect for young babies to play on, and provides a cozy spot for toddlers and preschoolers to read and relax. (size: 35X35X8) (LaLalounger, $85)
4. LEKA-Wooden Play Arch-I love how simple, beautifully crafted and bright this wooden play gym is from IKEA. With three dangling strands for baby to grab, pull or study, this play arch is made to cultivate your little one's mind. At under $30, you can't beat the LEKA activity gym on price, sustainability and streamlined design.
5. IGLU-I love the combination of the four colorful wooden pendants for baby to play with and the simple bright mat underneath. Classic design, appropriately stimulating, cheery and made of sustainable wood. Sets up in minutes and is easily portable. ($70, Il leccio, Italy)
Not every item ticked every box, but I know these Activity gyms and play mats would make any new baby content, stimulated and comfy, what more could I ask?
Momtrends was not compenated for this post. Thank you to Lalalounger and Plan Toys for the wonderful products for our new baby.