Would you let your baby sleep in a box? Finnbin is hoping so. Based on a Finnish tradition from the 1930s of providing a sleeper for newborns and hand-selected "must have" products for new parents, the Finnbin is saving space, money, and even infant lives in Finland, and now the United States.
So what exactly is the Finnbin? It's a box - a box that a newborn can sleep in - that is filled with 40 practical must-haves for new parents like bibs, blankets, onesies, and baby toys. It's a perfect baby shower gift or ideal purchase for any new parent. The concept was inspired by the maternity kit provided by Finland's social security program to all new parents in Finland. And now it's available in the U.S. Here's why you'll want one for your bun-in-the-oven, or to give as a gift at the next baby shower.
It can save lives.
Safety is one of the most important concerns all parents have when it comes to the gear and toys we use with our kids. And, understandably, some parents, like me, may be wondering just how safe putting your baby in a FinnBin box really is! So consider these two facts:
- There are more than 3,500 sleep-related infant deaths each year in the United States.
- Finland hands out similar boxes to all expectant or adoptive parents and these boxes have been credited in helping to reduce Finland’s infant mortality rate from 65 deaths-per-thousand-births to one of the world’s lowest in the world at only 3.3!
"It's unsettling that the U.S. ranks 23rd globally behind most other industrialized countries where we have 6.5 infant deaths per 1,000 births," said Shawn Bercuson, CEO and co-founder of Finnbin. "We know that, of those cases of SIDS, 93 percent of the deaths were related to sleep complications. With the updated American Association of Pediatrics safe sleep guidelines, these baby boxes offer safe and simple options for parents that we've seen in other countries can greatly reduce the number of SIDS cases."
The Finnbin is an affordable and effective way to meet the American Association of Pediatrics' four safe sleeping practices for infants.
- Place the baby on his or her back on a firm sleep surface such as a crib or bassinet with a tight-fitting sheet. (✔ The Finnbin comes with a sturdy sleeping pad and rests on the floor.)
- Avoid use of soft bedding, including crib bumpers, blankets, pillows and soft toys. The crib should be bare. (✔ Since the Finnbinn doesn't have a lot of extra room, parents aren't compelled to add bumpers, blankets, or plush toys.)
- Share a bedroom with parents, but not the same sleeping surface, preferably until the baby turns 1 but at least for the first six months. Room-sharing decreases the risk of SIDS by as much as 50 percent. (✔ The Finnbin provides a compact sleeping solution to keep your baby in your room, but not in your bed.)
- Avoid baby's exposure to smoke, alcohol, and illicit drugs. (Okay, obviously Finnbin can't help you here.)
It saves space.
One thing that I was overwhelmed with as a new parent was all the STUFF! We had cribs and rockers, pack-n-plays, and swings. It was hard to tell where the baby store ended and our house began! The Finnbin provides parents with a practical sleep solution without overtaking your house in terms of space or baby decor. The box is big enough to fit a newborn up to 25 pounds and/or 25 inches (which for some babies can be up to 6 months old!), has a cute gender-neutral exterior designed by Aden + Anais, and measures in at just 27.5" x 16.75" x 10.5".
It saves money.
Have you priced out a crib recently? A bed for your baby can run you hundreds and even upwards of a thousand+ dollars! Not to mention the bassinet (you'll want to keep the baby closer those first few weeks), and the secondary sleep unit so baby can nap in the living room or downstairs. All that can really add up. While a Finnbin box won't completely erase your need for a crib, it does provide a safe, affordable way to let your newborn sleep in your room. Plus - while you can buy the box on it's own for just $65 - you can buy the complete bundle that comes with 40 hand-picked must-haves for new parents from brands like Aden+Anais, ApplePark, Bambo Nature, Bamboobies, Chewbeads, KicKee Pants, Lollaland, Magnificent Baby, Safety 1st, & SkipHop to name a few. From bibs and onesies to teethers and swaddling blankets, the complete Finnbin bundle includes $800 worth of baby products for just $450. Check out the entire list of what is included here.
Becoming a parent can be overwhelming, and I love that Finnbin helps parents focus on the basics. A safe place for baby to sleep and just the basics you need to start off life as a family - what more do new parents need? I like that it even has a built-in ruler to keep track of how your little bundle is getting bigger.
The trend has been catching on in the United States, too. Finnbin recently announced that New Jersey is the first state making baby boxes available to ALL new parents within the state! "As New Jersey and other states offer these to new parents, there's a great opportunity to provide additional educational resources to recipients, much as they do in Finland," said Catherine Merritt, co-founder of a U.S.-based baby box company, Finnbin. "Not only can a Finnbin box be a safe sleeping space for newborns, it can be a catalyst to providing information to keep babies and their parents safe and healthy." The New Jersey program, which is being implemented through a grant from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, is expected to distribute over 105,000 boxes through 2017!
Want to learn more or pick up a Finnbox for a new mom-to-be? Check out Finnbin.com for more details, background and ordering information.
Momtrends was not paid for this post.