I have always been an accessories kinda girl. I love the way I can take my old stand-bys and give them a boost with a few good accessories. My latest craze has been for belts. I love skinny ones, printed, wide ones, and I have even fallen back in love with the classic braided ones. (see below for my new favorite one from Lands' End-updated yet classic). A belt is often a forgotten about, yet it is also a necessary and super versatile accessory. I love finding vintage ones with big, statement buckles-perfect for a plain white tank and jeans. I have found belts everywhere, from dresses that no longer work, to consignment shops, garage sales, my sister's closet, my mother's attic, as well as unique, handmade ones at the craft fair hosted by local Native Americans.
Found a belt but it's not your size? A trick I learned from my shoe-maker, if your belt doesn't fit the way you need it to, simply use a small nail and hammer a new hole where you need it! DIY fix in 1, 2, 3!
Belts are a simple way to express my personal style.
I use belts to not only eliminate that weird gap in the waist of my jeans, but also to:
- Gives shape to a dress: Fashion Model Brittany Gibbons reminded me that dresses come with a waist line that "guesses" where your natural waist might be. To fix this unflattering fashion conundrum she recommends using belts to cinch dresses at YOUR natural waist to accentuate your curves and flatter your figure. She adds that it is important that your belt matches your proportions. She is seen here wearing a braided belt, posing at the Momtrends Lands' End party.
- Consider a fit-and-flare style to make it easy to find where to belt the dress.
The Best Ski Socks for Women
Warm feet make the ski day so much more fun. Investing in good ski socks can improve your time on snow. We're sharing our picks for the best ski socks for women. Decide on the thickness and compression you need and then stock up. The 10 Best Ski Socks for Women Check out our ...read more
10 Things to Do on Your Okemo Ski Vacation
This popular East Coast ski resort has been helping families create snowy fun with families for decades. A few years ago Vail Resorts bought the property and has continues to invest in the family-friendly fun. They focus on getting kids and outdoors - because ski moms know the ...read more
Plan a Family King Pine Ski Vacation
Some of my favorite travel memories involve being outdoors in the snow with my girls. We have the best time on the lifts telling stories and plotting our perfect runs (and the perfect hot cocoa break). I work hard to carve out vacation time with the kids--time to connect and make ...read more
- Adds a pop of color: I use belts to add some color to a monochromatic outfit. This is such a great way to update your favorite or "go to" outfit.
- Try a trend: Fashion styles change with the tide, so to be on trend, I choose to use my belt to be fashionable without having to bend the budget. This summer I nearly wore out my neon belts!
- Update a look: I had a favorite one shoulder dress but to bring it to this season's look I added a wide black belt-old dress, new look.
- Add sparkle and shine: To bring an outfit from day to night or to dress up your LBD, I add a metallic belt. Adds instant glam with ease.
- Keeps an hourglass shape: This works when you wearing a dress paired with a cardi. In the above picture, I use a thin belt to hold the cardi in place, which added texture as well as created a polished look.
Thank you to my models - Kerri @savvymomnyc, Lauren @nyclaurenbeth and Brittany @Brittanyherself. Look for the upcoming Syncing Your Style post where I show how real women can wear the bold, geometric prints shown on the runway.
Momtrends was not compensated for this post.