Leah Schapira’??s new cookbook, Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking, features a plethora of easy kosher recipes, ideal for all home cooks, proving that you don’??t have to Jewish or even kosher to appreciate and enjoy great food easily prepared. The pear chips provide a great sweet spring taste with the chocolate mousse; we may be trying the pear chips just to have pear chips!
Chocolate Mousse with Pear Chips (Parve) – from Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking by Leah Schapira
8 eggs, separated
12 oz bittersweet chocolate (not baking)
1 tsp instant coffee granules, dissolved in 3 tbsp boiling water
¼ cup sweet red wine
- In a mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate with the coffee.
- Beat egg yolks, with a fork and quickly add to double boiler, mixing well.
- Add the red wine. Remove from heat.
- Fold in the egg whites until combined.
- Place in individual cups for serving. Refrigerate.
2 firm pears
1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Thinly slice the pears and lightly coat each side with sugar.
- Place the pear slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20
- Turn the pears over and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave the pears in the oven to cool and dry.
Before serving, garnish mousse with chocolate shavings and caramelized pear chips.
What are you cooking this week? Link up below and share!